Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

bad video

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

any idea why my video is like this? camera is several feet from the wifi0703202000a_HDR.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the image yet The camera has nothing to do with your WiFi - it's all about the camera to base connection. It's possible that the nearby WiFi is interfering with that signal - try moving the camera to see if it still happens.

Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

ok here is how dumb I am, I thought you had to have wi fi internet to make the camera work. So if the camera is too far from the VMB 3500 base this could be the problem??

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Nanlee wrote:

So if the camera is too far from the VMB 3500 base this could be the problem??

Yes.

But VMB3500? I can't find that one.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

how far can it be from the base?

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Nanlee wrote:

how far can it be from the base?

That's one of those key questions with no obvious answer. It depends on many things.  All I can say is that my longest stretch is about 25 metres through one wall. But you should be able to get better than that.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The distance from the base (the VMB3500 is the little round one) to the camera  is variable. In a perfect world, 300 feet may be  possible. In a home cluttered with walls of varying construction, metal objects in and on the walls, wireless devices of all sorts, etc. distance may be cut down to mere feet. You can test the distance possible by moving the camera around, watching the connection icon for the camera to see how it responds - the more bars, the better. If your desired location turns out to be a problem, a smallish move to a slightly different location may be all that's needed. Trial and error is required to get what you need.

As for the Internet connection, yes, the base needs to be connected to your router via Ethernet to get to the servers. Unfortunately, too many folks think that the cameras are using the home WiFi to talk to the base/servers which was the basis for my comment that the cameras don't use your WiFi. So, no, Arlo doesn't use your WiFi but it does use your Internet connection which you refer to as your "WiFi Internet". It's just a terminology thing...

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation