Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Would cutting of the fiber to the premises compromise the whole system?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Doombar
Follower
Follower

My question before I buy is:
Would the cutting of the fiber to the premises compromise the whole system.?
Most uk houses have a wire that enters the house at the front and is mostly unprotected. So if cut I’m thinking the whole system is useless. Is this correct?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Doombar wrote:
Most uk houses have a wire that enters the house at the front and is mostly unprotected. So if cut I’m thinking the whole system is useless. Is this correct?

Not entirely.

Since the Arlo Pro, the base stations have been equipped with a USB storage option which will allow local recording even when the network circuit is down.  However, you can only view these recordings by removing the USB drive and attaching it to your computer.  The Arlo Q Plus also has a micro SD card slot for this purpose.

Of course, all camera systems are inaccessible remotely if the network is down, so no matter what you installed, you would lose remote visibility unless you had a router that offered both a wired and a cellular uplink capability.  There are a few of these available.  You can use fiber optic or cable as the primary link and if that fails, the router can switch over to the LTE circuit.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Doombar wrote:

Not entirely.

Since the Arlo Pro, the base stations have been equipped with a USB storage option which will allow local recording even when the network circuit is down.  However, you can only view these recordings by removing the USB drive and attaching it to your computer.  The Arlo Q Plus also has a micro SD card slot for this purpose.

Of course, all camera systems are inaccessible remotely if the network is down, so no matter what you installed, you would lose remote visibility unless you had a router that offered both a wired and a cellular uplink capability.  There are a few of these available.  You can use fiber optic or cable as the primary link and if that fails, the router can switch over to the LTE circuit.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation