Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wifi extenders: Does it actually extend the base station range?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Micky18
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello there. So i have been reading about options to extend the base station signal. I understand the options are extenders via ethernet, wifi or powerline. Then one can move the base station to a more cental location and the cameras will have a better signal. 

So do any of those options actually extent the base station signal or they only give me the option to move the base station which would still have the same range? 

For instance, instead of moving the base station, I would like to setup an outdoor wifi extender. Connect it via wifi and run the cat5,6 inside to the base station. Would my cameras then pick up the signal from the outdoor extender?

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The ONLY real way to expand coverage is with multi bases ( no limit on the number you can have on any account )

The wifi extenders ONLY allow you to centrally place the base so the coverage is good for all cameras. Sometimes the range will just not work for all, in this case add one base at one end of home and another at the other end ( by cable or extenders with a etherent port )... then sync the closest cams to each base for a good signal..

The cameras will ONLY link to the base units...they will not link into any other wifi device

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Micky18
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply.

Ok so i would use whichever extender and hardwire the extender to a second base station. Would the two base stations talk to each other or they would be independent and i would pretty much have two arlo security systems? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

They operate as separate systems but you can create custom modes that will allow you to use cameras across the bases. That didn't use to be the case but it works now.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation