Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Leeeeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

VMS4430P-100NAS is what my order says the model is. The base station, more often than not, goes offline when in Geofencing Mode. I called my wifi provider and had them change the wifi channel like an Arlo support agent suggested, and nothing changed. 

Manually arming and disarming the system becomes cumbersome, but at least THAT works. I'd really like to use Geofencing, though, so any help is appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Leeeeen wrote:

The base station, more often than not, goes offline when in Geofencing Mode.

What tells you this?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Rossi56
Tutor
Tutor
I've started seeing this issue recently after the firmware update. Support is almost non-existent.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

We still don't know what @Leeeeen is seeing.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Leeeeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Flashing amber light on the base station. 

Leeeeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've noticed Arlo Support is pretty bad, and the way their websites work is kinda crappy, too. Maybe, hopefully, they'll make another update that will correct this issue SOON.

Leeeeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry I didn't answer immediately. Gee whiz. I'm asleep at 4:34 in the morning!  The flashing amber light is what I'm seeing.

Leeeeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Flashing amber light on the base station.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

OK. Now I understand it.

Does this still happen? There were recent reports of a minor meltdown at Arlo towers. Maybe someone forget to pay the electricity bill.

Does turning on geofencing cause the meltdown?

I'm trying to see if this might just be a coincidence. I haven't seen any issue, and if it hit everyone there would be more than a couple of complaints here. The place would be awash with swearwords.

Just another user
Leeeeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes it still happens, and yes, Geofencing is what seems to be the cause. I thought I said that in my original post, but there you go. My base station sits right next to my modem/router, so I just don't understand what could be the problem. I did order a service protection plan. I'm wondering if I should request a new base station...

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Leeeeen wrote:

Yes it still happens, and yes, Geofencing is what seems to be the cause. I thought I said that in my original post, but there you go.

These conversations get confused when other people pile in with what may, or may not, be the same problem.

This statement throws in another dimension:

@Leeeeen wrote:

My base station sits right next to my modem/router, so I just don't understand what could be the problem.

Does everyone else have the same topography,

Putting two wifi sources on the same channel, as Arlo runs things, too close can upset the wifi. You may think that proximity is good news, but it can help to add a metre or two between them.

The bit about asking your Internet supplier to change wifi channels makes not much (ie, none to me at least) sense. Why would Arlo even suggest that? And why do you have to ask the ISP to do that? That is usually something that you do at your end with your router.

We shouldn't have to worry about these things.  They are sent to try us.

Like I said, if every Arlo user saw the same thing, there would be hell to pay her. So troubleshooting is down  to trying to find what is different about your setup

I assume that you have already raised this through the Covid overworked official channels.

Just another user
Leeeeen
Aspirant
Aspirant

Finally, a reply that may be helpful! My next step will be moving the Base Station farther away from my modem and see what happens. I noticed earlier today that the Base Station went offline in "Armed" mode, so not just in "Geofencing" mode. Thank you. 

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

There is one more puzzling wrinkle in this saga.

When the hub appears to be offline, with its pink light, check to see if it really is off line and that isn't just a false alarm. I've seen that in the past.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation