Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Which is the best setting for video timing? Record until activity stops or fixed length of time?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Nanlee
Luminary
Luminary

Which is the best setting for video timing,

Record until activity stops

OR 

Record for a fixed length of time. ?

I notice since both my cameras are facing towards the road one on each side of the house sometimes I get a notice that the video on one or the other cameras says can not view on browser have to download.

Could it be due to the timing?

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, I'd rotate the cameras down so the road isn't in view. We're generally after people and those can't be detected more than ~25 feet out.

As for recording times, you have to realize that the camera has to detect the motion, not your eyes. Given the above distance limitation, I prefer the timed recordings but that's in my environment. 

It sounds like you are not using Pro 2 cameras which peak out at 1080p resolution which can be viewed by all browsers. However, a corrupted video can also provide that message and the browser's codec will barf on it, giving that message. This can be due to poor signal strength/quality. Does this happen to both cameras?  If only one, swap cameras around to see if it's the camera or location. If happening to both, try moving the base for a better signal to the cameras.

You can also download the videos and use the free VLC viewer to review those problem videos.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation