Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What is the base station distance supposed to be from the router?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am curious about something in the basic setup instructions.

It is recommended that the base station be “at least 6 feet from the modem”. First off, I have not measured it yet but the cable provided does not look to be 6 feet in length. ?

Secondly, has anyone noticed any improvements by doing so? Does it improve wifi to the individual cameras?

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have run two VMB4000 base stations near my router ( stock cable lenght , one on each side ) and have not seen any issues....

Nor any better signals when moved away from router

Sometimes just rotating the base a quarter  turn can help signal as the base may be a bit directional

The only issue noted recently was with the Ultra base ( smarthub ) and this was due to some 5ghz interference ( I think ). I picked a 15 ft cable and moved it away about double the previous distance and all issues went away.

BTW, the older bases run on 2.4ghz and the Ultra base can run 2.4 or 5ghz... They will sit on the same wifi channel as the experts ( back then Netgear ) found there were less issues if they sat nearby.( on same channel vs  an adjacent one )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have the newer VMB4500. I wonder if it’s running on 2.4 or 5 GHz. I’ll check the label on the bottom. Maybe it states it there.

I did try moving it around as the one camera over my driveway shows only the minimum “dot” for signal strength. Funny, because the one over my porch, which is the same distance if not a little farther away, always shows two bars like all the other cameras. Building construction materials I guess.

But it all seems to work very well anyway, I guess that’s what matters.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation