Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Weird clicking noise

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
g3niu5
Luminary
Luminary
So I got a Arlo pro 2 set to go along with my other cams and so far everything has been fine.. no disconnect issues. Night vision is fine. Etc etc.
Only issue is I'm getting a odd clicking noise when I click live view. The camera is not wired.
Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

That is one of two noises that can come from the Pro and now the Pro2...

clicking ( clock sound ) or techo music ( data stream noise ) .

Only thing to do is contact Netgear Support if it really bothers you... it  TBMK, ( in the Pro ) , was a hardware issue and prob still is

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
g3niu5
Luminary
Luminary
I have 5 pros and none have the issue. Also if I'm not mistaken the ticking noise is when the camera was connected to a power cord?
Johnny45
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have 8 Pro 2s and 2 of them are exhibiting this behavior.  One is powered and the other is running on battery.  Trying to decide whether it bothers me enough to return and try new ones.  

Apprentice
Apprentice

The ticking sound generally surfaces when the Arlo Pro is connected to the recently pulled from market outdoor AC adaptor. The reason it was pulled is it is a potential fire hazard due to the seal on the camera end of the outdoor adaptor not being tight enough. 

I haven't noticed any ticking sounds while on battery for my Arlo Pros. In general, if you heard a ticking sound with electronics it could be arcing due to faulty capacitors or bad soldering. The electrical connection is not strong and the intermittent change in is causing the aricing noise. The cams are fairly low voltage when not plugged into an AC outlet so I would not worry about ignition unless you are mounting them in a stack of dry leaves or hay. I would worry about the cam shorting out and failing or failing prematurely like a few days after warranty expiration. IMO you have troubled units and they could be factory defective. If you notice the cams are made in Vietnam, a lower cost option than China for NG and IMO in the expericence curve they are far behind China thus one can argue the build quality is likely to be problematic.

g3niu5
Luminary
Luminary
Here's a video. Is it the same noise that folks with pro issues are having? It's a little hard to hear. Also I just noticed. What's that glare on the hood of my car?
https://youtu.be/1nwjKqG9DsM
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

That's the exact clicking/ticking sound that exist on AP1. I have returned quite a bit of AP1 from Costco and they all have this sound/noise. Some are minimal and some are very noticeable but they do exist especially when it's plugged in thru outlet. I have found that some cam's clicking/ticking sound doesn't exist at first on newly setup running on battery only but the moment it's plugged in thru outlet to charge the battery it triggers this noise and won't go away even unplugging and running battery only. I have accepted this clicking/ticking sound since I am plugged in thru outlet.  

Apprentice
Apprentice

I did not hear anything. On the AP (non AP2) you only hear the clicking when on AC. Turn off the light on the wall and see if the glare goes away. I think its the reflection off your hood of the light.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation