Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Problem: video freezes or stops while motion is ongoing. Seems to lose image from the camera since it may continue to record for 10 seconds or more but the person is either frozen or gone from the room. We don't use audio.

Related to my other thread on same subject. Had long phone conversation with Arlo tech support this morning:

1. Re-installed Arlo Life-style app (IOS) now have latest 2.9.1; had 2.9 before.

2. Was advised that the apartment building's free wifi for residents could interfere with Arlo's proprietary wifi that broadcasts from the base station to the cameras. Ideally channels should be either 1, 6 or 11 from internet provider rather than 12, 9 or 8. Not sure how to achieve this, since the building-wide wifi is not used in the apartment itself except maybe when maids are on their cell phone--but they probably use their cell network to make quick calls, not use wifi. The apartment itself does not have its own wifi since we don't need it. We take ethernet connection from cable modem, distribute by ethernet cable to ethernet switch. From there ethernet runs 1 to computer, another to base station.  No router used. I'm not sure how to find out if building-wide wifi is using internet channels that might interfere with Arlo wifi.

3. Was also advised to move base station away from surrounding cable modem, ethernet switch, computer, etc. and also to raise it from 6 inches off the floor to three feet high. This would remove electrical interference as an issue.

Days ago we connected cameras to Lanmu adapter-chargers made to go with Arlo units. Electrical ratings seem appropriate. Problem existed before we did this so doesn't seem like that's the problem. Though the next step might be--if all else fails--to remove the batteries and just run by power with adapters that do not charge batteries.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I don't know how others feel, but I have no desire to continue with this crap for much longer if something isn't corrected (ON THEIR END) in the next couple months.

I will probably replace the entire system with a different brand.  It is not worth it to me if I can not depend on it. If someone is lurking around my property, I don't care to see video that speeds up, skips frames, pixelates, etc.

What really makes me so angry: I know this should be better than what it is now. When I bought this system over a year ago, it worked very good, and the image quality (1080) was outstanding. it was sharp and clear.  About 3 months ago, it all went to crap. And again...it is on their end.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Are the cameras all placed inside your apartment?

@improve58 wrote:

I'm not sure how to find out if building-wide wifi is using internet channels that might interfere with Arlo wifi.

If you have an Android phone or tablet, there are some free apps that will show you the WiFi channels in your vicinity.  Netgear's WiFi Analytics is one.  You won't be able to do this on an iPhone or iPad.  But there are ways to see this on PC with WiFi too.

However, at the end of the day there's isn't anything you can do to change the Arlo channel, and you probably won't be able to convince the building folks to change channels either.  Plus you likely will also see WiFi channels from some of your neighbors.

@improve58 wrote:

We take ethernet connection from cable modem, distribute by ethernet cable to ethernet switch. From there ethernet runs 1 to computer, another to base station.  No router used..

If this works, then you have to have a router.  It's likely that the cable modem is actually a gateway (router+modem).

Can you provide details on both the switch and the cable modem (manufacturer+model for each)?

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks @StephenB. Modem is Optimum Arris that has one ethernet connection--perhaps some would call that a partial router. Don't have exact model numbers right now, but one of the latest ones. Has coaxial out, cable phone out jack (neither is used) and the ethernet out, which runs to a Linksys SE3005 ethernet switch main input, from there one ethernet line runs to laptop, other to base station. The manual always refers to router, but we found we didn't need to use the separate router that optimum supplies since we had no desire for wireless in the apartment. I understood that Arlo, from the ethernet connection, then creates its own wifi to the cameras.

I just checked remotely and see that the re-installed software has not solved the problem. The other day I temporarily raised motion sensitivity from 80 to 100 that also didn't seem to solve the problem.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

I think we'd need the model number to tell.

You do need a NAT router on the path if you have more than one device connected to your internet.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

Hmmm, so what could be happening is that the same IP address is being split between the computer and the base station? That might explain some of the issues we're having. I don't have immediate access at the moment to get the model number but looking online, from my memory the modem would appear to be the Arris Touchstone TM1602A DOCSIS 3.0 Upgradeable 16x4 Telephony Modem which they call a stand-alone, which I assume means it needs a router. Sounds like we should remove the ethernet switch, re-connect the router, re-test, and only if problem persists, re-position the base station further away from computer in a higher position. Thanks for your insights.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

UPDATE:

So I did all the things recommended:

1. removed the ethernet switch and replaced with Sagemcom Fast 5260CV. Modem is TM1602A.

2. Moved base station 10 ft away from router. Will put back to 6 ft since that's recommended distance. base station and router are all about 3ft off the floor,

3. cameras are at least 10 ft from base station.

Surprisingly not much difference if any.

1. Video cuts off suddenly after 7-8 seconds maybe each camera a few times a day; other times all is normal, except for often pixilations of videos.

2. Person in video disappears after 10 seconds, but video continues to run with no one visible.

3. Video freezes

4. Many of daily videos are fine, running as long as a few minutes.

Seems I can rule out changeover from battery to non-proprietary AC adapter/charger. Though adapters are not Arlo, these problems pre-dated changeover to AC. They hold 100% charge perfectly and electrical specs very very close to Arlo.

So the possibilities, based on observation and Arlo community home posts:

1. Interference from Router 2.4 WI-fi mixing with 2.4 Arlo internal wifi to cameras; since Arlo provides no ability to switch wifi channels not sure what can be done here. I can get analysis done of active channels, though not sure what solution that would lead to. Arlo basicallly set it up for its internal wifi to match the existing wi-fi channel as far as I understand. the cutouts must mean that the camera lost connection to base station or malfunctioned.

2. Interference from other building-wide and individual wifi accounts.

3. Defective cameras or base station.

4. Defective internet transmission by Cable vision--though no problems visible with computer.

5. Arlo software or firmware issues.

I supposed I could run the base station to a distance more than 20 feet from the router but hard to still keep that 10ft away from all cameras.

What all this means is that I'm stuck with a defective product until either curative software/firmware  is installed or an adaptor that allows channel change. Out of 100+ videos a day, probably 15-20% cut short.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I am dealing with the same quality issues.

I don't think WIFI (or anything on your end) has anything to do with these problems.

I truly believe these issues are at ARLO's end. This crap all started around the time they came out with this new app. I have the same WIFI, etc. in my house, and NEVER had these issues before.

Prior to this change at their end, I was actually very satisfied with everything.

Presently, the image quality is NOT 1080, it is blurrier, the recorded video freezes, skips frames, speeds up, etc. for no reason.

I have submitted a support request, and they assigned me a case number. I have sent them several example video files to view.  At this time, I have heard nothing back.

Like I said, all of these issues are on THEIR END, not ours. These problems never existed before.

I'm really getting tired of this.

improve58
Luminary
Luminary

@billkex  You are doubtless correct but it's 50-50 if Arlo will ever fix it. So it's work-around time. In the family member's apartment the 4 camera system is in, there are two switched outlets and I'll put manual switches on the other two outlets and have the relative turn power off on all cameras and then turn them back on every two weeks to recharge for one night, then off again for two weeks. Pretty easy to do and at some point probably some timers could be found to do this automatically. I'll start with one camera and see if indeed the problem disappears when it runs on battery.

Some have suggested returning the firmware to what it was before the May update, but due to the new IOS 13 or other things that have been updated in the interim, not sure this is possible. This is now going on for five months. Not an auspicious prognosis. Good luck.

billkex
Luminary
Luminary

I don't know how others feel, but I have no desire to continue with this crap for much longer if something isn't corrected (ON THEIR END) in the next couple months.

I will probably replace the entire system with a different brand.  It is not worth it to me if I can not depend on it. If someone is lurking around my property, I don't care to see video that speeds up, skips frames, pixelates, etc.

What really makes me so angry: I know this should be better than what it is now. When I bought this system over a year ago, it worked very good, and the image quality (1080) was outstanding. it was sharp and clear.  About 3 months ago, it all went to crap. And again...it is on their end.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation