Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB4500 Base Station for Pro 2 - Connection lost and now cannot reconnect to Internet [Resolved]

Discussion stats
  • 0 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
WalleyeSlayer
Follower
Follower

ISSUE RESOLVED! - Factory Reset requires that you follow these precise steps - https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-to-the-default-values.  See more description on bottom of this post.

BACKGROUND: When attempting to reconnect Base station, the LED turns solid blue but would not connect to modem, so device would not be discoverable by the App.  

Arlo tech support claimed if the LED light was solid blue, the base station was connecting so it is not an Arlo problem.  So they said - tell the ISP to open my network ports 80 and 443.  

ISP (MediaCom) technical support tells me they would need the IP address and whether the ports to be opened were UDP and/or TCP.  Many possibilities were explored, DHCP reservations, Port Forwarding, lowering my Firewall, Device Prioritization and many others that didn't help.

At some point after multiple tech support phone calls and chats, it was suggested to contact my router tech support as the problem may be with my router settings.

Technical support for my router (Linksys) confirmed the base station was connecting to the router, verified by logging into the settings for my router and finding the IP address for my base station as a connected device. 

Here is where I have a bone to pick with Arlo's troubleshooting documentation. The Arlo documentation for troubleshooting (https://kb.arlo.com/996/My-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-is-offline-how-can-I-troubleshoot-it) claims "If the LED is solid blue, the base station is connected to the Internet."  This is misleading, as my device would connect to my router but not to my modem and therefore it was not, in fact, connected to the Internet.   Multiple Arlo tech support staff concluded it the LED is solid blue, then you are connected and the problem must lie in either my router or modem settings, PERIOD. 

SOLUTION: After dozens of tech support calls with Arlo, my ISP and my Router manufacturer, the ultimate solution was the factory reset.  Yes, I had pushed in the factory reset button multiple times during all of these calls, but this didn't seem to do anything.  After reading through the Arlo specific instructions for doing a factory reset -(https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-base-station-to-the-default-values) I realized I was doing it wrong or was not being instructed in how to do this correctly.  The power to the unit needs to be left on, a paper clip inserted pressed in until you feel the button depress inside, then held in my case for 15 seconds before the lights changed from solid blue to flashing.  Once the flashing subsided, it reset and worked perfectly.  DON'T USE A PEN as the instructions suggest, my pen tip broke off inside the base and had to be removed with pliers.

I feel a bit stupid that I missed something so simple.  I thought a reset button was a simple matter of quickly pressing & releasing a button (like using a paper clip to remove a SIM card from an iPhone) and didn't know the power had to be on.  But I'm angry/disappointed that no Arlo tech support person out of the dozen or so I had talked to had ever taken the time to specifically walk me through the exact factory reset steps and so I wasted an incredible amount of time on the phone and chat with multiple tech support people.  I hope my experience helps someone else having the same problem. 

0 REPLIES 0
Discussion stats
  • 0 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation