Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB-4000 - Your Base Station could not be discovered

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
wised19
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm trying to set up a hand-me-down Arlo camera system.  One base, 5 cameras.  The units have been removed from my family member's account.  

My Wifi runs through Samsung Smartthings routers.

Initially, I had a difficult time setting up everything.  No matter what I tried, neither the app nor the browser would discover the base station or cameras.  After trying everything I could think of, thinking it may be a 5ghz/2.4ghz issue (Smartthings won't let you choose between the two), I finally used an ethernet connection to connect to the base via a splitter and got my CPU to discover the base via a browser.  From there I was able to sync the cameras and I thought I was in business.  Everything worked well for about a week.  Then, without explanation, the base disappeared as a Device, the cameras could only be seen on my iphone via the app, and all recording and notifications ceased. 

I tried to replicate everything I did previously to no avail.  I tried a soft reset.  I tried a hard reset.  I rebooted both my router and modem.  I have removed all devices and tried to start over.  Nothing works.  I have the three LED base and the lights from left to right are Green, Green, Amber.  

Also, I did try to chat with Arlo on multiple occasions, but could not get them to connect me with a person.  

Appreciate any assistance you can provide.  

4 REPLIES 4
Dannybear
Master
Master

I have read reports that the VMB4500 Base station exhibits the behaviour after camera reordering due to the bugs in the arlo backend. Have not seen any VMB4000 bases affected.

The workaround has been to factory reset the base station, remove all devices and start again as new install.

Have you lost the mode page also?

wised19
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.  Now that you mention it, I did recorder the camera in the app about the time things went awry.  That must be the cause.

I'm trying the workaround.  Unfortunately, I am once again having trouble getting the app and/or browser to discover the base station.  I've tried everything that I tried last time, but no joy.  I understand the device and the app/browser need to be on the same network.  I feel like this is the source of this problem (2.4ghz vs. 5ghz), but I cannot think of a way around it except to use an ethernet connection and that doesn't appear to be working this time.

Any thoughts on how I can get the app and/or browser to discover my base station?

Thanks. 

wised19
Aspirant
Aspirant

And I did lose the Mode page also.

Dannybear
Master
Master

The arlo VMB4xxx base stations use their own closed 2.4Ghz wifi network to connect to the pro2 cameras. Make sure that the base is located at least 6ft from your router modem to prevent wifi overload.

To eliminate the prior firmware issue as part of the problem then perform a factory reset of the base station.

https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station 

Re install everything as new again. Use the web portal if it works better.

You can try using the manual syncing method to add the cameras by pressing the base top button for 2sec then momentarily press the camera’s sync button if you’re struggling to add them via the app.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation