Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Useless Since Latest Update

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
ramcd
Guide
Guide

Purchased the Pro yesterday and it took an hour for the Base Station to be found by the Arlo app. That was after trying to "add new device" on 2 iPhones, an iPad and an iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro eventualy found the base statio but becasue it belongs to my partner she then became principle Admin. Not a big deal at first but after the Base Station and 3 cameras had been software updated I realised the restrictions of being a secondary Admin.

Browsing through these forums the work around was to delete the Base Station and cameras from her profile, delete the app and then reinstall.

Got all that done but now after a day and a half trying to get the software to see the Base Station nothing but nothing has worked. Not all the so called fixes here and on other forums, no ammount of resets (well over 20) or power resets have worked.

Have even tried with two other routers (and yes, the Arlo gear was hooked into the same WiFi service) to no avail.

Made up another account with a different email address and still nothing.

I'm going to put it down to the latest software update. From what I have read I'm not the only one having the same hassle.

Basically made the $1000 set up wirth zilch.

Customer support where no help either so far, the software absolutely refuses to find the Base Station.

14 REPLIES 14
brh
Master
Master

@ramcd 

Did you remove the cameras and base from her account before attempting to change ownership? If not the system will still be under her account. She will then have to add the base and cameras back to her account, then remove them from her account. Then you should be able to set up the system to your account and grant access to her.

Brian

ramcd
Guide
Guide

Yep, did that Brian but, as I said in my original post, it's useless trying anything until the Base can be added via the software and, again as stated, that aint going to happen anytime soon.

Cheers

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First off, you can still use the original device that found the base - just use YOUR email address to create the account to add the system to. The system isn't tied to the device, it's tied to the account credentials.

You haven't given us a lot of information about the devices used (OS level, specific device) and what you tried to get them to see the base initially. That could be a clue as to why some didn't work while one did. Were all devices on your WiFi when trying to set up? I know you said you tried everything but we have no idea what that even means.

As BRH said, and you reiterated, a system that has been set up has to have all devices removed from Settings, My Devices in the previous account. I would also hold the base reset button until the LEDs flash amber. After the base reboots, you should have green power and Internet LEDs - if not, nothing is going to work. Using the new account, claim the base using Add Device. You can then sync the cameras, being sure to only briefly press the base sync button.

The more details you provide, the better the suggestions can be.

ramcd
Guide
Guide

The original device that finally found the Base Station was my partners iPad Pro and yes I have used it again numerous times to try and find the Base station with no luck obviously.

What I did to find devices initialy was constantly go through the set up process until a half hour of trying it finally found the Base Station. When that was done, all three cameras where added. The Arlo software then advised me all four needed to be updated to their latest software which I did unfortunately as it appears 2.7.1 has caused massive hassled for some users, me being one of them.

(Please keep in mind when I say it's caused hassles, those users already had their system running before the latest softwar install and had all devices showing in their accounts, mine didn't).

All devices were removed from her account (and mine). The app was then deleted from her iPad (and mine) but as another user has observed, when the app is reinstalled it picks up the exact same account login information, obviously gathered from the Cloud.

I can't tell you what software version the Arlo system is running because I cant get into it to provide you with that information but I'm going to assume it's 2.7.1

Yes. I am aware of what the lights and colours on the Base Station mean. The internet light flickers a few times when the software is searching, that tells me it's communicating to something.

When I say I have tried everything to get the system up and runnning again please feel free to throw some other options at me but be aware I'll reply with a "yep, tried that"

Base Station was on the same WiFi stream as both iPhones and Pads were, even tried a second and third router.

In one of my calls to support I asked that my account be changes to the principle Admin and was told it was done and good to go.

Her app still allows her being able to add users but my doesn't so that tells me she is still the main Admin and support have failed with my request.

One other thing I did, and because the house is running on a Cel-Fi Pro mobile booster/Yagi antenna and because my vehicle has a 240V outlet, I took both my simmed router and Base Station 500 meters down the road where I could see the cell tower and can get full signal strength. That was a waste of time also.

As a last resort I made up a new account using a different email account in the hope that it would be a fresh start but that too fell over. My bet is if that new account had found the Base Station I would have been told the device belongs to another account.

So .... the only thing that's changed since the Base Station was able to be initialy added is the software update.

The system was only purchased new two days ago, I've more or less spent those two days trying to get things running but I keep reminding myself of the old saying that states to do the same exact same process over and over with no result is plain stupidity.

The Base Station isn't even heavy enough to be used as a door stop. 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just so you know, v2.7.1 is the app version which has nothing to do with the firmware version on the cameras and base.

Since she can still manipulate the system, it hasn't been removed from her account. Deleting the app won't do a thing - you have to use the app to go into Settings, My Devicees, select each device, starting with the cameras, and use the Remove Device button at the bottom. Continue with the cameras and then the base. Only then will anyone else be able to do anything with the system. I know you said you've already done that but the system is still working so something has been missed.

ramcd
Guide
Guide

There are NO devices in either account, all where removed when trying to sort the Admin order.

I've logged in and out of each account numerouse times before trying to add new device but still no success.

I was originally in the her Grant Acces but removed myself in the hope that it may have some effect again with no effect.

Her account will now let me "Grant Access"back to myself but then goes no further because there are no devices showing to be shared.

In the initial set up when I had the Base Station and cameras showing in Devices, each seperate device (base station and 3 cameras) then told me the software needed updating which I preceeded to do.

After that I went through the process of sorting the Admin order out from information here in this forum and that was to remove ALL devices from both accounts the start the setup up again but this time using my account to do so.

Again, I still have a dead system.

ramcd
Guide
Guide

Just off the phone to support, after going through the usual trouble shooting steps they've decided my Base Station is faulty and are happy to replace it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Good. That was what we were leading up to. Unfortunately, the Internet back and forth is time-consuming while the support call can be so-o-o much faster at getting to a resolution.

ramcd
Guide
Guide

Two days and I'm still waiting the the RMA email even though I have been provided with an RMA number and returns addres via online support!

Is there a known problem with their RMA system?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ramcd

Have you contacted Customer Support regarding the RMA email?

ramcd
Guide
Guide

Yes I have, on TWO occasions and typically, no reply!!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@ramcd

Did you call the number provided in this link? Arlo Tech Support

ramcd
Guide
Guide

I have rung them three times in regards to the matter via the Australian support number. Have just finished another online chat with them and AGAIN they have reasurred me I will get the email. Don't hold much hope unfortunately.

ramcd
Guide
Guide

Well well well, a replacement Base Station turned up today express without me having to send my original back first but suprise suprise, the second one is a dud also so now the whole system goes back to the place of purchase for a refund.

When I started the second base the first thing it did was an auto update and that's where I think the problem is.

Goodbye Arlo and your dead products.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation