Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can I Use The Base Station Outside?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
larynx
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can the Arlo Pro 2 base station be used outside? Is there any good way to weatherproof it? I have use for outdoor cameras and when the base station is used inside the signal doesn't get to all the cameras. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The base station isn't weather proof... so it can ounly be used in a dry area.  Shed with power ?

( Use ethernet out to there (good for 300ft ) and then power )

Or, as the only true way to expand area coverage is multi bases... get a second base and locate one at each end of your home, sync'ing the closest cameras to each.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@larynx wrote:
Can the Arlo Pro 2 base station be used outside? Is there any good way to weatherproof it? I have use for outdoor cameras and when the base station is used inside the signal doesn't get to all the cameras. Thanks

I used Arlo cameras while building a new house.  I had the builder make a simple weather tight box in which I located my cable modem, wireless router,  Arlo base, a UPS and even my local phone.  The environmental specs likely won't match those required by Arlo, but in my experience, I have been able to run powered devices at ambient temperatures even during New England winters without any problem.  The devices make enough of their own heat during the winter and if they are sheltered from water all year and excessive heat during the summer months, they seem to work fine.

Outdoor Equipment BoxOutdoor Equipment Box

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation