Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Turn off wifi

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
p78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello

I plan to buy an Arlo Pro (or Pro 2) and its base.

I would like to know if it is possible to turn off the Wifi on the camera and on the base.

I don't want Wifi when I'm at home.

Thanks

BR

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can disable the cameras but you can't disable the WiFi connection between the base and cameras. Why do you not want the WiFi connection?

p78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Health matters.

So, if I turn off the base and I disable the camera(s), there won't be any wifi, right?

brh
Master
Master

@p78

If you power off the base station via the on/off switch there will be no wifi. When you power it back up it should automatically reconnect although, it might take a couple of minutes to complete the process.

Or you can simply unplug the ethernet cable going to either the base or the router and accomplish the same thing.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

wrote:

Hello

I plan to buy an Arlo Pro (or Pro 2) and its base.

I would like to know if it is possible to turn off the Wifi on the camera and on the base.

I don't want Wifi when I'm at home.

Thanks

BR

I would suggest you'd be better off with a wired camera system. If you go with Arlo Pro or Pro 2, you would have to turn off the power to the base and also remove the battery from each camera in order to not have the batteries drain and for there to be no wifi signals broadcast.

While it's your personal choice, I'll just make sure everyone else knows there are no proven ill health effects from having a wifi network in your house

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If it's health reasons from the WiFi, the low frequency effects on your house wiring will have more of an effect than the high frequency from WiFi, which doesn't penetrate nearly as much. 

p78
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would suggest you'd be better off with a wired camera system. If you go with Arlo Pro or Pro 2, you would have to turn off the power to the base and also remove the battery from each camera in order to not have the batteries drain and for there to be no wifi signals broadcast.

While it's your personal choice, I'll just make sure everyone else knows there are no proven ill health effects from having a wifi network in your house

Yes but I didn't find good camera with a sound alarm.

If you know one 🙂

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

wrote:

Yes but I didn't find good camera with a sound alarm.

If you know one 🙂

Arlo Q Plus.

p78
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can I plug it to the same base?

brh
Master
Master

@p78

The Arlo Q and Q Plus do not need or use a base station.

Brian

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I don't believe the Q or Q Plus have a built in siren nor do they have the capability to trigger the siren in the Pro base since they're not connected

steve_t
Master Master
Master
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@steve_t wrote:

I don't believe the Q or Q Plus have a built in siren nor do they have the capability to trigger the siren in the Pro base since they're not connected

I took the OP's requirement for a "sound alarm" to mean detecting on sounds and raising an alert, not having a siren.  I could have misunderstood what the OP was looking for though.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation