Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Triggering a camera to record via Rule when it is already recording

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation
SAub
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is the intended behavior if motion on one camera triggers, by rule, another camera and that other camera is already recording due to motion or a previous rule triggering it? I ask because occasionally some cameras don’t get triggered to record when they should, and it seems that the reason is that the second camera was already recording when it was triggered by rule.

Assuming that that is the intended behavior it seems not ideal. A simple example may help. If camera 1 triggers camera 2 to record for 200 seconds, but camera 2 is already recording for any reason and has only 1 second remaining to record before it stops. The second camera stops after 1 second and doesn't record for the 200 as the triggered rule specifies. In this example 199 seconds of recording does not occur

I have VMB4500r2 base station:

Firmware1.16.5.0_3646_89fcc16
HardwareVMB4500r2
Arlo Pro 2 cameras 
Firmware1.125.16.0_36_49c31dd
HardwareH6

Thanks for your help with this,

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SAub
Apprentice
Apprentice

I submitted an Arlo support case for this. Arlo confirmed that triggers to record are ignored if the camera being triggered is already recording. Since this is not an ideal behavior I've ask Arlo to consider implementing a more useful behavior. Will update when Arlo responds to the request.

I suspect that this same problem occurs of ignoring a record request if a camera is recording because it detected motion/audio and is configured to record for a specified time, say 10 seconds. If within those 10 seconds (for instance at the 9 second mark) new motion is detected, the camera will ignore it and only record for the remaining 1 second of the first motion detected.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SAub
Apprentice
Apprentice

I submitted an Arlo support case for this. Arlo confirmed that triggers to record are ignored if the camera being triggered is already recording. Since this is not an ideal behavior I've ask Arlo to consider implementing a more useful behavior. Will update when Arlo responds to the request.

I suspect that this same problem occurs of ignoring a record request if a camera is recording because it detected motion/audio and is configured to record for a specified time, say 10 seconds. If within those 10 seconds (for instance at the 9 second mark) new motion is detected, the camera will ignore it and only record for the remaining 1 second of the first motion detected.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 1 In Conversation