Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Stolen / Damaged Arlo wifi tracking

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
storm181
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is my situation.  All the cameras are using battery power.  A few days ago somehow my arlo base station was tampered with either accidentally or purposively at my business.  The cat-5 cable to the router was plugged into the wan port on the router shutting down access to the internet but I know when approx it happened.  This happened when I was out of town.  So far no one has admitted doing this.  During this same time, the two cameras attached to my building and my two arlo security lights were stolen off the building.  Unless it was an inside job the thieves would not know the internet was down.  As soon as I put the cable back into the proper slot of the router the system came back online.

I taked to arlo today and the cops and did a police report. Once I got the base station back online today, one of the arlo cameras that was torn down and missing is shown in the status report of being connected to the base station but I have searched the property and cannot find it and I cannot view the video since the battery is so low but it is showing connected.  I can actually turn the camera on and off from the control app.  Now the lights and other camera are not online.  Arlo said possibly the cameras were tossed somewhere and the other camera and lights might have been too but were damaged so they are not showing online.

I know the arlo makes its own network but using a network sniffer on the arlo network for signal strength would probably only lead me to the base station.  I did not know if each camera put out a signal or not.  I am not at the location so I have no way of checking right now.  Any help would be great.

Sean

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you have a phone/video camera ( that sees IR, many do ) you may be able to locate the camera in the dark as the IR will light up and be visible...

You can test this in dark with one of your working cameras to determine if the device sees IR. ( it will look like a flood light on )

Of course tho, this will run down battery more so test first before trying.

Also, did you have the USB backup running? were the cameras armed?? if so, the base should still have recorded to the usb backup if it was ac powered

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
storm181
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately, no USB backup on it.  It is unfortunate that Arlo does not alert you when the camera base goes down or it can no longer connect.  I will try the IR thing as I have a set of night vision goggles that would be able to see the beam of the light.  However, the battery display on the unit shows 5% but it won't let me turn in the camera to view it but it says connected so am I right to assume the IR would not be working either because the battery is so low?

I have my employees out looking around the property today to try to locate it.  Hopefully, it turns up but I will try the IR thing to see if that does anything.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@storm181 wrote:

During this same time, the two cameras attached to my building and my two arlo security lights were stolen off the building. 

What do I need to know about the Arlo Theft Replacement program?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
storm181
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was already informed about the replacement program and we are going in that direction but when I spoke with someone from arlo they did say the one that is still connected to the base station would probably not be eligible because it was still connected somewhere on the property.  Even though it was taken from where it is mounted, it is technically not stolen just moved from what I was told.

Sean

Zacwhite777
Aspirant
Aspirant
I unfortunately don't have the model information at this moment but if my camera system has been stolen how do I track my equipment down?
NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation