Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

South African Needing Assistance Before Buying

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Christo1985
Aspirant
Aspirant

So the arlo camera system is quite an investment, the issue I have is I live in South Africa with one of the highest crime rates in the world. The wireless camera system makes complete sense for me because having someone install a system for you in your home presents certain security issues.

How reliable is the system? I’m assuming support will be an issue should something go wrong.

South Africa’s bandwidth is terrible. Would the arlo base station store data/recorded video should the bandwidth slow down. What is the lowest bandwidth speed the arlo will allow before it’s pointless to have the device?

Can the arlo device send an alert to the security company patrolling the suburb I live in should there be an intruder? I travel a lot and i may not get the alert in time.

The Arlo support will be non existent in South Africa, how reliable are the devices?

And lastly when will it link up to Apple HomeKit?

3 REPLIES 3
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Howzit Christo?

I am ex Jhb. so fully understand your concerns.

Keep in mind that Duxbury in Jhb. are the SA distributors

https://store.duxbury.co.za/catalog/category/view/s/arlo-bundles/id/602/

The Arlo Pro 2's base does have a USB port where videos will be stored and will continue to do so in the event that the internet goes down. To play back though you need to remove the USB storage device and plug it into a computer.

You would need at least 1 Mbps upstream.

The system can send an alert to any email address you choose and a notification to the registered account.

See here about home kit.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/arlo-baby-homekit/

Christo1985
Aspirant
Aspirant
Howzit! Thanks a lot for the info, I didn’t find duxbury on my search’s, it’s great to know there is someone that supplies here.

So I’m guessing you’ve proved whether arlo is worth getting in SA? Would you recommend it for here?
Streak2
Master Master
Master

I would recommend Arlo anywhere where you need a weather proof, wireless solution with free 7 day cloud based recording for up to 5 cameras.

Of course wired solutions are usually more reliable but if running cables is a problem then you have to go wireless.

I Like the fact that Arlo is motion based recording. So it only records when there is movement and you can choose on a per camera basis if you would like an alert or the  siren built into the base to sound.

There are also now the Arlo lights which work hand in hand with the cameras and can come on selectively based on rules that you set in the app.

Secure mounting would be important to prevent theft of the cameras.

I hope this anwers your questions.

Totsiens.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation