Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wrathchild
Guide
Guide

I’ve been an Arlo user for many years. Running Pro 2 cameras and a Ultra SmartHub base. I use an iPhone 10 to operate the app and my internet is not the issue. Everything is fully updated to whatever the most recent available updates are. 

Anyways, I disarmed my system today to do yard work. When I tried to rearm the system I noticed nothing appeared on the “Mode” tab of the app. It should allow me to arm or disarm the system. Instead I’m greeted with an empty screen. I went back to the “device” tab and it says all cameras are offline. 

I’ve rebooted, reset, etc. everything multiple times. If it’s a possible trouble shooting method, I’ve done it. Trust me. I’ve done it.  Nothing helped. All I did was waste my entire evening that I should have been spending with my family…thanks Arlo.

I redid my entire system. Set up the SmartHub and all my cameras across my property as if they were new. This worked. The “new” hub appeared in the app and each camera did as well once I synced and named them. The cameras picked up my movement and I have those recordings in my library. I turned off each camera, using the “device” tab, after I set up them up and confirmed it worked. Thinking my issue was solved, I went inside to call it a night. Once inside my home I opened the app and clicked the “mode” tab to arm all devices and was once again greeted with a blank screen…fantastic. 

I went back to the “device” tab and noticed the SmartHub device was no longer appearing on the list below my cameras. When I clicked on a camera it said it was connected to “base station”. This is not what I named my SmartHub. It’s as if app forgot my SmartHub existed in the time it took me to walk inside and made my cameras revert connection to some bogus placeholder hub name. 

Long story short, I’ve wasted hours on this stupid system and gone in a giant circle accomplishing nothing. It would be one thing if my Smarthub randomly crapped out while I was doing yard work and never worked again. But the fact that I redid the entire system, confirmed it worked, then minutes later my Hub magically disappears the moment I’m ready to turn everything on seems very suspicious. Arlo, fix this nonsense immediately. I’ve wasted enough time on this. 

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The development team is investigating an issue with VMB4000 and VMB4500 base stations being removed when adjusting device order within Arlo account settings. 

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and are working on a resolution.

For additional updates on status, please refer to status.arlo.com

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

This topic has been escalated to the development team and these reports are currently being investigated. I will provide an update as soon as more information becomes available.

JamesC

169 REPLIES 169
CharlieHorse
Aspirant
Aspirant

Both of my base stations are offline...all lights are green but internet light alternately flashes for 5 seconds and solid for ~5 seconds.

I have tried:

1.  Reboot all devices including internet router.

2.  Ping devices.  I'm able to ping both base stations.

3.  Hard reset both base stations.  I was able to get both base stations online and had to re-sync all cameras.  This lasted an hour then both base stations went back offline. 😞

As stated above all lights are green and I'm able to ping both devices.

I started a chat support ticket (but can't find the number) twice for updates to the procedures I tried. 

I have another Arlo account at work which works fine on web and phone app...only my personal account is affected.

Not happy that then entire system is down.  I really need support to help me with this.  I'm suspecting that your servers firewall  may be blocking my IP by mistake.

CharlieHorse
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correction....both base stations are VMB4000 models....sorry for the confusion.

SRangel
Guide
Guide

I’m having this very same issue… could have written this myself. I’ve had these cameras 2.5 years with no problems and now they’re basically useless and I’ve wasted hours on this. FIX IT!  

Cpcp
Guide
Guide

Can’t turn off 2k4k they don’t load just spin and there is no option for modes at all just a blank page 

Cpcp
Guide
Guide

All cameras are off line and just spin there is no way to reorder them move them view them. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is investigating an issue with VMB4000 and VMB4500 base stations being removed when adjusting device order within Arlo account settings. 

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and are working on a resolution.

For additional updates on status, please refer to status.arlo.com

JamesC

In2racn
Aspirant
Aspirant

All my Pro 4 cameras that are on Arlo hubs are "currently offline". My other Pro 4 cameras that are direct connect to my Wi-Fi are working. I have 2 different hubs in 2 different places and neither hub will display a camera. This just started 9-20-22.

I have 2 hubs at different locations, and neither are showing up on "My Devices". 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix for this issue has been implemented. This will allow users to safely use the device order feature without resulting in any issues.

For users that are experiencing their base station no longer being visible within the Arlo mobile app or web client, you will need to re-onboard the base station by tapping "Add New Device" select Base Station/Hub and follow the on screen instructions.

If the base station cannot be found, follow the reset instructions linked here and then attempt onboarding again: https://kb.arlo.com/1057976/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station

JamesC

Cpcp
Guide
Guide

Yep started 9/20 afternoon when will it end!!?!!!!

Tranman79
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC 

Will there be a fix for those who are unable to reset their base stations so easily? The location I’m using the cameras on is nearly 800 miles away. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tranman79,

If the base station is no longer visible on the account, unfortunately there is no way to interact with it remotely. It must be re-onboarded which will require someone to physically be present at that location.

JamesC

AbusedCustomer
Guide
Guide

Ha, I thought it was just me. I had to do some camera work yesterday and when I was done everything off line and smart hub gone. Can't even reload it. Spent hours with do nothing tech support chat. In fact they cancelled my subscription twice in 24 hours and now I ant even subscribe. They are really substandard all around. No Cust service help at all. I feel better that Im not in this quagmire alone! 

AbusedCustomer
Guide
Guide

And now apparently I have to go to each of my 14 cameras and reset each one. Some are as high as 20 feet. So if I fall my wife will be taking suggestions as t what too rename her new security camera company! 

This is the most ridiculous thing from a "well established" company to have such a failure in a firm ware update and not even publish it or have the "chat" geniusus tell us after many useless chats! I apparently got the last agent so upset he went in and cancelled my paid subscription. And I still have not been able to resubscribe. Im sure my account was black balled...... 

andrewinbriz
Guide
Guide

"For users that are experiencing their base station no longer being visible within the Arlo mobile app or web client, you will need to re-onboard the base station by tapping "Add New Device" select Base Station/Hub and follow the on screen instructions.

JamesC"

Re VMB4540.

So called "solution " does not work! When you go to add a new device (the hub), it just endlessly, and futilely, searches. It never sees the hub so you can add it.

Fix it now please.

JasonCCC
Star
Star

andrewinbriz I am guessing you will need to reset it first by sticking a paper clip in the little reset whole in the back for 10 or so seconds. I usually have to do it twice and then you will see the light start flashing from amber to blue.  Then it will reboot.  Once blue do the search again and it found it when I recently reset them all.

Also can I get a user actually verify they can move a device and do not lose there base stations?  Call me crazy but I don't trust Arlos announcement.... and no way I'm doing it will all the cameras I have... Maybe someone with just a few cameras that had this happen to them can help the community out and give it a shot?

GlennCass
Tutor
Tutor

I also have the same problem.  The app crashes every time I press the mode button.  I reinstalled the app, hub, and cameras which didn't work.  Please fix this ASAP.  Mode works on Windows Desktop but not my Google Pixel 6A android phone.

Wrathchild
Guide
Guide

I didn’t trust it either but I just reordered my cameras and nothing has flown all to hell yet. The night is young.

JoeyN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Team,

I lost all my camera and doorbell connection and since 9/19/2022. Until now 9/22/2022 I still unable to see any activity on my 5 cameras and Doorbell. System issue need to be fixed. 

andrewinbriz
Guide
Guide

Thank you to James.

After a hub re-boot (which was tried many times previously) my Arlo app could see the VMB4540, and it was added. After a number of attempts, I was able to add four Pro3 cameras.

All working ok now, but I'm holding my breath. We'll see how it goes.

I think Arlo should waive subscription fees for a few months, in lieu of the culminative thousands of hours people have spent troubleshooting, for a problem they didn't cause.

And while it's good that Arlo gave Microsoft Vista software engineers a home, nah, it's not good.

AbusedCustomer
Guide
Guide

So thank God I'm home with COVID so I had two solid days of ARLO Nonsense to fix. Neither of the chats geniuses told me to reset my base and I didn't notice it was gone all of a sudden. Once I read this post that was the start to a fix. Then I had to break out the 6,8,15 and 20 foot ladders to re-add all of my cameras. That was painful, very....

You would think ARLO would have a better thought out plan. They were a waste of time. They didn't post that "some systems are experiencing problems" until late this afternoon. What a JOKE. Anyway. Reset your base stations, WITH A PAPER CLIP AND HOLD IT FOR AT LEAST 10 SECONDS, and restart and reenter all of your cameras. 

GOOD LUCK! 

patriot64
Aspirant
Aspirant

BINGO THATS IT. I never thought of that. Everything was working just fine until I moved the order of my arlo pro 3 security camera higher up the list. Minutes after that the system started doing all this. THAT IS THE TRIGGER

Nick-L
Tutor
Tutor

James C

I take great exception to your labelling the problem to have been “solved”. Arlo may feel that they have FIXED the problem with re-ordering the devices without the SmartHubs disappearing from the Mode list, BUT the problem is nowhere near SOLVED.

As I said before, I have cams in a holiday home that’s thousand of miles away. That’s half of my 20 cams! It is an UNATTENDED property at the moment. There is NO PROSPECT WHATSOEVER that I could return to it to re-onboard any of the SmartHubs/Base Stations in the next few months. The whole property is now unguarded by security cams. I cannot be alone with this problem. A PRIMARY function of security cams is for GUARDING UNATTENDED PROPERTIES, no? Having to pay subscription for service for the 10 cams that has been rendered USELESS by the service provider, yes, YOU Arlo, is a bit pushing it too far. IS THIS PROBLEM “SOLVED”?

Arlo’s solution has to be for users to get back the SmartHub/Base Stations onto the Mode list. In other words, to revert to the status quo BEFORE the issue occurred. Arlo didn’t work on that, did it? IT ONLY WORKED ON FIXING A SOFTWARE GLITCH WITHOUT SOLVING USERS’ PROBLEMS! 

The hassle of re-onboarding SmartHubs and cams aside, it is NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE for some to do that without wasting more money on a subscription that one cannot use.

It has been teeth gritting to hold back the use of any expletives in the above, but if you don’t unlabel the problem as being “solved” forthwith, I cannot guarantee I’ll be as polite in my next post.

patriot64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well support just sent me this. 

Hi,

Good day!

This is Marelyn from Arlo Escalation Team. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Our engineering team is already working on the fix. As per the latest update, it will be released tomorrow or the next day if there are no other issues encountered.

I will provide an update once we have more news. As for the refund, I will check with the team but I cannot guarantee that it will be approved. Please standby for now.

We appreciate your continued cooperation.

Regards,

Marelyn

Arlo Support

RodC74
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just re-set up a few of my cameras and so far so good without rearranging them. Disappointing Arlo won’t own up to having an issue. Had they said to everyone we are addressing the known issue it would have been better instead of giving us the run around asking irrelevant questions.

mtnhrdgr2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got home from work and everything was still working. I tempted fate and resorted the cameras. An hour later, everything was still good. (This was before the firmware update.)

Decided to reset and start over and add the cameras in the order I want them to show in the app. However, once I reset, the hub firmware updated (maybe the fix we have been waiting for??). I then added 5 cameras. Waited 20minutes and resorted. Waited 30minutes, and it is still working.

Maybe it's finally fixed now?!?!?! I guess time will tell.