Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Slow connection (viewing) upgrades. Will upgrading to new SmartHub help?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
toobit9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m finding that Arlo connections (viewing in the app) are slow and unstable.
I started with a smarthub and 2 Arlo pro 2’s. Over the years have added a Arlo Q, Arlo baby and Arlo doorbell.

Would I have any improvement if i upgraded to just a new smarthub? I would like to move to some of the new cameras anyway, but would this help with the old ones?

Additionally, would adding a usb hard drive or SD card help with access speed?

I also have a lot of smart switches and was thinking of adding a zigbee hub. Would this help (either with a new hub or old?)

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's hard to say from a distance but it's possible that the WiFi connection between the cameras and base is degraded for some reason. That could be hardware or interference from other wireless devices. Is this only with the cameras connected to the base or all versions? Have you tried moving a camera to a different location to see if that helps? WHat is your upload speed as measured by speedtest.net? Perhaps the upload channel is getting swamped from various devices competing for bandwidth.

toobit9
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s mostly happening to all cameras except my doorbell camera works fine.

I don’t think my internet speeds are an issue as i am getting 500 down and 850 up.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey toobit9,

What's the Base Station or SmartHub you are currently using? What's the signal strength you're seeing on your camera(s)?

toobit9
Aspirant
Aspirant
It’s the VMB400 base station and the signal is strong on all but one camera is at 2 bars instead of 3, but it’s outside so that make sense.

My internet speed is 800 down/800 up...but the smart hub is running through a WiFi mesh hub, ha may have something to do with it. Maybe i will try plugging it straight into my router...just may affect the outside camera.
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation