Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Setting up our Arlo on community wifi

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
atm925
Follower
Follower

I hope my questions find you all well.

My partner and I recently purchased the Arlo Pro 2 with hopes of bettering the security in our apartment. We are running into an issue with the initial setup, in particular needing to connect the Base Station via ethernet cable. So I'm not sure if I'm explaining this correctly, but bare with me: our apartment complex informed us last year that they would be providing property wide internet/wifi, and that our existing services would not be necessary. We agreed (I'm not sure I remember if we had a choice or not). Following this they installed some kind of box in our apartment related to these changes. It's the only piece of internet related equipment we have now, no router. So we thought we'd be able to connect the ethernet via this box, but there are no visible ports...

I tried contacting our old internet provider thinking they could just reestablish our service, but the technician informed me of a disclaimer they are met with explaining that because a 'bulk-agreement' they cannot manipulate the internet services at that property. 

I'm assuming this may drag on a bit more until we have a better idea of how to proceed of course. I'm just hoping that one of you out there has some kind of insight on this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thoughts?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The base requires ethernet.  One option that might work is to get a wifi extender that has an ethernet port, and connect it to the apartment wifi.

That isn't guaranteed - it depends on exactly how your wifi is set up.  If you just share a wifi password with no account credentials, then it likely will work.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation