Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Set alert schedules for different cameras. How to combine Rules/Modes? Need 2nd Base Station?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
GrowingConcern
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Components I own:

• 10 Arlo Pro 2 cameras
  • 2 Arlo Pro 2 Base Stations

Current Configuration:

• Using 1 Base Station (2nd is not connected currently, but was cheaper to buy a second 4 camera complete setup than buying 4 individual additional cameras)
  • 3 cameras outside
  • 7 cameras throughout the interior
  • Argo Smart Premier Plan
  • Base station Mode is “Armed”
  • 2 Rules configured:
    • Front Door push alerts on motion
    • Toddler room camera push alerts on motion (She won’t stay in bed at bedtime and I couldn’t figure out how to schedule alerts only at bedtime so we’ve lived with getting alerts 24x7)

I’d like to have (Goals):

• All 10 cameras record motion 24x7 as we don’t have a set schedule for being home; have had babysitters steal $; and in the event someone broke in during the day I’d want it recorded.
  • Front door camera push alerts 24x7 on motion.
  • Driveway camera push alerts between 12-5am on motion (rash of car break-ins in the area and some kids went through my wife’s truck at 3:45am this morning)
  • Toddler room push alerts at bedtime, say 8:30-11pm so I’ll know if I need to tell her to “get back in bed”

I’m not sure if I need to connect the 2nd base station; buy another base station; or what combination of Rules and Modes I need to create to accomplish these goals, but I appreciate the assistance from this group of experts in meeting these goals.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GrowingConcern
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I figured it out...

I created a new mode and set the Driveway, Garage, Back Door, Front Door and Toddler Camera to push alerts and record.  All other cameras are just set to record.  I left the Armed mode set to push alerts for the Front Door.

Then I changed the mode to Schedule and set my custom Push Alerts Mode for 12am - 7am; Alarm Mode for 7:01am - 9:00pm; my custom Push Alerts Mode for 9:01pm - 11:59pm.

Not exactly as flexible as I would like (I’d rather be able to set Push Alerts times by camera) but it should meet my needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GrowingConcern wrote:

I’m not sure if I need to connect the 2nd base station;

I suggest using both base stations.  Each base station is supposed to handle 5 simultaneous streams, so putting 5 cameras on each would prevent the possibility of losing a stream because the base station is overloaded.

@GrowingConcern wrote:

Arlo Components I own:

• 10 Arlo Pro 2 cameras
  • 2 Arlo Pro 2 Base Stations

Current Configuration:

• All 10 cameras record motion 24x7 as we don’t have a set schedule for being home; have had babysitters steal $; and in the event someone broke in during the day I’d want it recorded.
  • Front door camera push alerts 24x7 on motion.
  • Driveway camera push alerts between 12-5am on motion (rash of car break-ins in the area and some kids went through my wife’s truck at 3:45am this morning)
  • Toddler room push alerts at bedtime, say 8:30-11pm so I’ll know if I need to tell her to “get back in bed”

or what combination of Rules and Modes 

I'd go back to the default "ARMED" setting - which would have all 10 cameras record motion.  That meets goal 1.

For the other three goals we need to understand what you want the other cameras to do.  For instance, do you want the front door mode to be set up to disarm all the other cameras?  

Personally I'd want the outdoor cameras always enabled.  I'd want the outdoor cameras + the toddler room enabled on schedule when I was home.  And I want all 10 cameras enabled when away.

To do that I'd want to create a mode that has the three outdoor cameras enabled, and a second mode that has the outdoor cameras + the toddler room enabled.  For convenience, put those four cameras on the same base.  Put the other 6 indoor cameras on the other base.  Re-establish the default ARMED modes for both bases (detecting/recording motion on all cameras).

You could then use geofencing on the first base station (arming all it's cameras when you are away, disabling them when home).  The second base is trickier.  Personally I'd just put it on a schedule - outdoor cameras only from 12 am to 8:30 pm, and 11 pm to 12 pm.  All four cameras from 8:30-12 pm.  You lose the toddler camera outside the 8:30-11 pm window, but the other 6 indoor cameras maybe are enough for your security?

GrowingConcern
Aspirant
Aspirant

Would this work...

• Connect the Driveway, Toddler room, Rear door and perhaps the Garage (inside garage) cameras to one base station, then schedule 6am - 9pm to just be “Armed” to record all motion; and schedule 12am - 6am and 9pm - 11:59pm to be a custom mode with push alerts and recording.
  • Connect the Front Door and all interior cameras to the other base station with all cameras “Armed” and the Front Door to include Push Notifications as it currently is so it alerts 24x7.
GrowingConcern
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think the “catch” to using both base stations with the 10 cameras split up is that I would have to pay for two service plans from Arlo, right?  My current Arlo Smart Premium plan is good for 10 cameras, but I think it only works with one base station.  Hopefully that isn’t the case because I don’t want 24x7 alerting from all cameras but I do want the benefits of my Arlo Smart plan.

It would be much simpler if you could just define times for Push Alerts for each camera instead of only being able to turn on/off Push Alerts.  It seems WAY more clunky than it needs to be.

GrowingConcern
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think I figured it out...

I created a new mode and set the Driveway, Garage, Back Door, Front Door and Toddler Camera to push alerts and record.  All other cameras are just set to record.  I left the Armed mode set to push alerts for the Front Door.

Then I changed the mode to Schedule and set my custom Push Alerts Mode for 12am - 7am; Alarm Mode for 7:01am - 9:00pm; my custom Push Alerts Mode for 9:01pm - 11:59pm.

Not exactly as flexible as I would like (I’d rather be able to set Push Alerts times by camera) but it should meet my needs.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GrowingConcern wrote:

I think the “catch” to using both base stations with the 10 cameras split up is that I would have to pay for two service plans from Arlo, right?  

No.  Your plan will continue to work with two base stations.

@GrowingConcern wrote:

Would this work...

• Connect the Driveway, Toddler room, Rear door and perhaps the Garage (inside garage) cameras to one base station, then schedule 6am - 9pm to just be “Armed” to record all motion; and schedule 12am - 6am and 9pm - 11:59pm to be a custom mode with push alerts and recording.
  • Connect the Front Door and all interior cameras to the other base station with all cameras “Armed” and the Front Door to include Push Notifications as it currently is so it alerts 24x7.

You wouldn't get notifications from the first group of cameras between 6 am - 9 am, even if you are away from home.  And you wouldn't get notifications from the interior cameras when you are away either.

Of course if that's what you intend, it will work.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation