Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

STABILITY OF Outdoor Mount in Black (VMA4000B)

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
erinsemail
Follower
Follower

Recently purchased Arlo Pro2 Cameras.  Up and running w/o issue. 

I installed half-sphere magnetic mounts (exterior of home) where I thougt I wanted my cameras.  Super quick and easy.  The magnet is STRONG. This was the best way for me to 'test' the camera location for a couple of days before a more permanent install.

I feared wind or the hit of a basketball/football might knock off a magneticly mounted camera.  I also thought for exterior use, dirt and debris would weaken the magnetic connection/strength.  I decided I should use something that is more "locked on" to the cameras.

Removed the half-sphere magnetic mounts.  Installed a couple of the VMA4000B mounts easily in under a minute.  Here is my concern.   

The mount screws onto the camera and seems tight.  But it's only one quarter-turn that secures the mount (attached to camera) to the wall-plate (that is screwed into the wall).  It only takes a quarter-turn clockwise (upward) to disconnect the mount and camera from the wall-plate.  In other words, my fear is...  one hit of an upward moving basketball/football and the camera will come down.  

Does anyone else have this concern?  Have I maybe installed the mount plates incorrectly or not secured the mount itself properly?  

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have to say I'm not a fan of those mounts. I prefer any other mount to those. I've used both Arlo and generic mounts with great success.

As for the magnetic mount, the magnet strength/connection doesn't degrade over time/dirt. I've used them outdoors for years with no movement/detachment. That said, a football (or squirrel) could certainly know the camera off in certain situations.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation