Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Rv Security

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
sam34019
Follower
Follower

Hi There,

I would like details on how to setup and run Arlo system on our RV using a hotspot from Tmobil.  I have heard many opinions ranging from using a wifi extender to using a travel router but cannot get a definite answer on if it can be done and what the necessary procedure and equipment needed would be. Can someone please clarify the necessary process and or equipment to be able to do this?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure about their hotspots, but Arlo equipment is compatible with their 5G Home Internet Service.  You aren't supposed to travel with that router (though it did work when I tried doing that).  The hotspots like will work as well.

Anyway, you need an ethernet connection to the VMB4000 base.  Most hotspots don't have ethernet out, so if you want to try this you would need to add a wifi extender that connects to the hotspot over wifi (and which would have ethernet out).  Then connect the base station to that ethernet. Of course all this would need to be powered.

You could also get cameras that support a direct connection to home wifi (like the essential) - then you could avoid needing a base and the extender.  You would need a paid subscription for the cameras though.

You could potentially pilot this first by using your smartphone's hotspot feature.  If it works with that, it should work with the tmobile hotspot.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation