Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

BB117
Initiate
Initiate

I keep getting this message operation cannot be completed at this time does anyone know what this means

377 REPLIES 377
Esthetician44
Star
Star
This is the message that I’m getting in the app as well.
Esthetician44
Star
Star
This is the other message that I get in the Arlo app.
TOCArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m only getting this error on one Arlo Q now. Last week it was all 8 of my battery Arlos and both Arlo Qs.

Attached is screenshot of device info. Other than serial number, it’s the same as the other Arlo Q that is working fine.

On IOS app, I get the Operation Cannot Be Completed modal dialog with Got It button. If I try to download using same app, I get the cocoa -1 error. It also will not work on safari. Will not work on Win 10 / chrome. All environments and apps are current.

Clearly not an issue with IOS or safari since 9/10 cameras are working.
Flibi
Aspirant
Aspirant
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If a downloaded file won't play using the free VLC player, the file itself is damaged. That would also explain the inability to view using the app - the file simply isn't playable. WHY it isn't playable is a different issue - what happens if you bring the camera closer to the router to maybe improve the connection? If that doesn't work, I'd open a case with support for a possible bad camera:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

TOCArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for input. Camera is only about 12 feet from base station. I can log in and watch live video no problem. Smooth. No lag.

Video also won’t play on Win 10 if I download. I can’t remember error, but it won’t play using stick windows media play. I’m not In front of PC right now.

Again, it’s this camera only. Others all work fine. It’s since May.

Thoughts?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Open that case with support.

BJ121013
Initiate
Initiate

I have 3 camera with battery and external Arlo equipped house power. Video works great Live, and recorded while Live. All motion detected videos are blocked with message “The operation can not complete”. Removing Arlo equipped house power clears most of this message. Other like cameras working with battery only do not have this problem. I really wanted to have all my Pro 2 cameras working on Arlo equipped house power. Any help would be appreciated.

KKS-Col
Luminary
Luminary

It is not the power source that is the recording problem. My battery powered cameras are experiencing the problem with the same error message.

Dcrook
Guide
Guide
Still getting operation not completed errors on select videos this morning, not sure why some videos get this error and others do not.
anics2019
Tutor
Tutor

I started filling in surveys and reviews about this problem (Apple App Store & Amazon where I bought the camera).  Can't say it is a positive experience.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Recently I heard more people encounter issue with latest firmware update (forced/mandatory)

I don't know what happened with Arlo company recently (Starting in May 2019). What are they thinking about.

With this latest firmware update (Forced), they fix a small bug for a small group of people, but they also create a very big problem for all of us. They unknowingly hurt their company name. 

This is a shame for those working for Arlo.

I may be wrong, if the ratio is opposite.

awagnerJCR
Aspirant
Aspirant
Megnmike5
Initiate
Initiate
For more than a month now, I have been getting the error message “Operation could not be complete”. I am viewing recordings on an iPhone 7. The message appears regularly on select cameras. On other cameras, I sometimes get this message. There have been 2 updates to Arlo within the last month and neither have corrected this problem. I need this fixed.
KK619
Tutor
Tutor

Potential workaround -

Hi all - I was having the same problem on one camera. Then it happend on another camera but only one video. I was reading through all the previous threads and noticed someone saying something about troubles with a short video (10 seconds or less). I noticed the camera I was having trouble with all had 10s videos and the others were longer. So in my recording settings, I changed it to 15 seconds and now I'm able to play those videos. Hopefully that helps the developers too.

Arlo2user
Star
Star

Interesting theory, but I'm having the issue on all five cameras intermittently (and, apparently, randomly), and the duration of videos does not appear to be a factor--I get that error message on short as well as long recordings.

BJ121013
Initiate
Initiate
I have 5 Pro 2 1080P cameras and 5 original Arlo cameras. I have connected 3 of 5 Pro 2 1080P cameras to house power trying both indoor and outdoor Arlo power cable and adapters. All 3 using house power both with and without battery installed have problem reviewing recording. Live videos work ok. Removing house power and all camera clear 99% of this problem.
colbywilson12
Tutor
Tutor

Agreed. This is getting very, very frustrating. I've had these cameras for two years and they've worked fine until the last month or so. I'm ready to ask Arlo for my money back, even though I already know the answer. 

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Hi, it seems that more people have more issues/problems than before.

We should ask ourselves "What should we do now? What can we do in the future?"

Do we want to come back here again in a few months or even weeks?

We have two firmware updates in a month and you can see what they can do to us.

Dannybear
Master
Master
The unable to complete operation issue has been with me prior to the last two base firmware updates.
Generally they have only been observed to occur on powered cameras and many are usually less than 10 sec duration but some are longer than 10 seconds.

The reason the error appears is because the audio header in the mp4 file uploaded to the cloud is incomplete and iOS App spits the dummy as apple does not allow a null audio format. This is also why you get a cocoa-1 error when you try downloading the recordings. This is documented on the apple developer site.

The android devices ignore the faulty header so they play the files with out the audio.

If you use the web portal say on chrome, the recordings do not play using Flash but you can download them and play the video using VLC that initially throws an audio error.
Where the error is occurring is undefined but likely in the cloud recording system itself.
If you check the USB recordings they are not impacted using the latest firmware.
Hope this helps.
SG339
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also continue to get this message. SO frustrating.  COME ON ARLO SUPPORT!!!  WHAT IS THE PROBLEM???  WHAT IS THE SOLUTION???  I get this message in my laptop and on my iphone.  

SG339
Aspirant
Aspirant

What?  I don't know what this gobble-de-**bleep** means.  What exactly is one to do to fix this problem on not being able to view library videos?  PLEASE!

Dannybear
Master
Master
What I was saying is that the only way to fix the issue is to contact arlo support and raise a fault case.

There is no workaround that I have seen on the forum that works.

The detail of what is wrong I have provided here to explain how simple it is for arlo to find.

It is likely that arlo is already aware of the issue but they have been blaming the iOS App as the cause. This behaviour is consistent with their past behaviour so the fix may be some time away. Remember if you admit to a problem then you have to fix it.

Arlo can’t be helped.
Ktops
Initiate
Initiate

Called tech support or no support again.  The operator started asking the same questoions about  updates and problems with the phone.  It wasnt until i asked for the supervisor that they admitted the problem>  still dont know when it will be fixed. 

Maybe BBB can help?

Chirita
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue here on Arlo Baby.
Some videos cannot be played.