Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

BB117
Initiate
Initiate

I keep getting this message operation cannot be completed at this time does anyone know what this means

377 REPLIES 377
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The free VLC works with almost anything, errors regardless.

Dannybear
Master
Master
I agree, VLC is a wonder of open source development. It will even analyse the media streams if the file header is incorrect and tells you like it does with the faulty cloud recordings.

The only problem is that there is no audio stream data that can be parsed by VLC just like on all my USB backup files since the last camera firmware update.

Arlo can’t be helped.
toptech
Star
Star

"They uploaded this bad (screwed up) firmware again without testing"

And this....somehow...surprised you?

Dannybear
Master
Master
@JessicaP

Additional information

I am still getting the same issue with random cloud library recordings using the new firmware.

Release Details:
Arlo Base Station VMB4000 - 1.12.2.1_2798
Highlights:
Alarm Detection Support
Additional Bug fixes
dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Hi, has your base station been upgraded to 1.12.2.1_2798 yet? If so, do you have any issue? Please advise!! 

Willow25
Tutor
Tutor

All 6 cameras will not live stream or record.  Screen just says”connecting” and continuously buffers until time runs out.  This is the second time this has happened to me. It happened last month around the exact same time and took days until fixed.  

Willow25
Tutor
Tutor

Hi. Yes. Now all six of my cameras will not connect for live streaming or recording!  This is not safe.

bcs1
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for providing some work arounds to the clips that won't play on the usual platforms.  This problem is on-going with the iphone and Microsoft explorer but I can get them to play on Firefox.  The real question that needs to be answered is why is this happening with some clips and what is Arlo/Netgear doing to FIX it?

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

I was a little suprised that more than 75 people have reviewed this post, but so far only one or two people have problems. The explaination for this is that if you recall on May 2, 2019, they were a new firmware and asked volunteers, but no one signed up. So now, they randomly selected some people to test to see how many people complainted about it. If there aren't too many people, they will send this scazy (screwed up) firmware to everyone.

Dcrook
Guide
Guide

I am also getting the operation not completed both on trying to play videos and download them. I get the cocoa -1 error as well when I try to download a video that gives the operation did not complete error. This just started after losing videos during the May 21 outage that affected me.

jiress
Guide
Guide
Hi, I have a loading issues after the last update. It happens 3 times in a day approximately. I restarted the base and cameras. Without the success. Does anyone know how to solve it? - see the app screen attached - Thank you
Ivette09
Initiate
Initiate

I just started receiving this cocoa error-1 message yesterday as well and could not play or download the video. This was very frustrating as it was a late night alert with some strange person. I could not dowload or view on iphone 7. Thankfully I was able to log on from my PC using Google Chrome and could view it. However, when I downloaded to PC it would not play on windows media. Today I can view some videos while others I can't (on app fm iphone 7). It would be great if they can fix this issue. 

bfinch21
Star
Star

Thanks, everyone, for your input and feed back.  An Arlo representative touched base with me to schedule a call.  I will update here what I find out once we speak.

Nice to have help when the company tech support is difficult to get to when a problem arises.

Thanks, 

Bret

Dannybear
Master
Master
The recording is faulty as it is uploaded to the cloud library. The audio stream is missing as is on all your USB backup recordings.

The cloud mp4 header says that there’s audio so your devices try to play the audio and present an error trying to play or download.

Chrome can download the file and can play the video stream but the flash player’s sound just gives a burp at the start.

Windows media player needs the correct codecs installed to play the video so not likely to happen.

If you have vlc player installed on the pc it will play the video but throws a audio codec missing error, audio is not played as there is none to play.

Android devices can play the recording I believe as they ignore the missing audio stream flagged by the file header by default.

Hope this helps.
bfinch21
Star
Star

Okay, thanks, Danny.  So, sounds like I am stuck with Chrome even if I don't like using it if I want the cameras to work properly.  I wonder why this problem is just now arising.  I've had some of my cameras installed for a year or so and never incurred a problem like this until recently.  You'd think that if it has always worked before using IE that a fix would be coming soon in the pipeline.

Thank you.  B

Dannybear
Master
Master
I think that Arlo are the only ones that can shed light on this.
It would not surprise me if there’s a move to encryption of the audio with a subscription requirement so that system’s can be tracked legally. Just speculation on my part of course.
Arlo2user
Star
Star

Hi Danny:
I'm sure your response, and others posted here, are helpful/informative to all the techies out there, but I am a layperson just wanting ALL Arlo recording to play back on my phone the way they used to do. As it is now, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I'll be interested to hear the results of Aspirant's call with Arlo tech support.

bfinch21
Star
Star

Right?  You expect these issues to be resolved quickly when you pay a significant amount to purchase and then the subscription costs.  I am supposed to get a call as well, so will post once I find out more.

Thanks, Bret

bfinch21
Star
Star

Could be an easy explanation. Thanks!

Extraneous
Initiate
Initiate
I’m having the same problem, and it started about a week ago.

Only happens with my Arlo Q. The wireless camera clips work just fine.
iPhone Xs
iOS 12.2
Not using local storage
Issue is intermittent

I tried lowering the quality of clips from 1080 to 720, but I’m still having the same problem. Approximately a third to a half of the clips get this error and can not be played.
Txgroup
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Extraneous wrote:
I’m having the same problem, and it started about a week ago.

Only happens with my Arlo Q. The wireless camera clips work just fine.
iPhone Xs
iOS 12.2
Not using local storage
Issue is intermittent

I tried lowering the quality of clips from 1080 to 720, but I’m still having the same problem. Approximately a third to a half of the clips get this error and can not be played.

AsoloHeart1955
Star
Star

I have the same issue and had to resort to setting old phones up in windows for security. NOT happy at all with Arlo. They need to do update with a fix or loose more customers. I truly regret buy 6 arlo cameras. $$$$$$$$$$

jiress
Guide
Guide
Today completely lost setting motion detection on all cameras and remain only audio detection. Wtf Arlo?!
B220596B-1194-4178-BB75-4A7541D1F725.png
Alley1
Guide
Guide
I read that the issue related to the users not being able to play back videos on Iphone was resolved. I’m still receiving “This operation cannot be completed” sporadically on certain cameras from my IPhone. Can someone describe the fix?
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same issue here - terrible video quality since the update.  Power cycled base station and rebooted.

I swear I've never seen a company with less competent programmers/software engineers.