Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Quality outdoor mount, what do you use?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Rectro33
Tutor
Tutor

Hi

Just ordered my Arlo Pro 2 kit, as it comes without outdoor brackets, which is crazy given the price of the cameras, Im looking for a quality robust outdoor mount. Looking about it seems the V1000 gets better reviews than the dedicated v4000 mount so Im left feeling I need a after market one.  The problem is all the after maket ones seem to be cheap and poorly made, hardly what id want to put a £250 camera on?

I notice that the videos I see in other countries people mount them on fences, or at head height, in my area I wouldnt even concider doing that with a magnet or a fixed mount so I need to put it higher up hence why I want a good mount.  What do you suggest?

Thanks. Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gildor1
Apprentice
Apprentice

There are some decent after market mounts available and there are ones that are not so great.  Just go to Amazon and check out the reviews and pick the one that appeals to you.  The major issue with even the good quality 3rd party mounts is that they all use a disc shaped nut to tighten the mount to the camera.  This is a problem if you want to plug in a power cord.  The plug gets in the way of the nut being able to be tightened all the way.  The official Arlo mounts have a smaller diameter nut, so there is no conflict.  That is really the only issue. There are work arounds of course, but its good to know what you are getting into if you go the 3rd party route.   

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

If you don't want to buy the "official" Arlo brackets, which seem to suit most people, then anything that has a camera thread should work. Netgear picked that industry standard for its devices.                           

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Gildor1
Apprentice
Apprentice

There are some decent after market mounts available and there are ones that are not so great.  Just go to Amazon and check out the reviews and pick the one that appeals to you.  The major issue with even the good quality 3rd party mounts is that they all use a disc shaped nut to tighten the mount to the camera.  This is a problem if you want to plug in a power cord.  The plug gets in the way of the nut being able to be tightened all the way.  The official Arlo mounts have a smaller diameter nut, so there is no conflict.  That is really the only issue. There are work arounds of course, but its good to know what you are getting into if you go the 3rd party route.   

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Rectro33,

Take a look here for mounting accessories for your Arlo cameras, there are several different options to choose from that may suit your needs: Arlo Products and Accessories

JamesC

Rectro33
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the info on the power cord. I'm waiting for the official outdoor one which is weather proof.

I went with the v1000b mount.

Dan
Gildor1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah, I went with that one as well, mainly for the power cord reasons. 

I have not even heard a rumor of an official Arlo outdoor rated cord coming.  The Netgear folks can correct me on that, but I went the third party route and got one with a 20 ft cord.  Working fine so far.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation