Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 system won't pick up detection 25 feet from camera

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
dachippig
Follower
Follower

What a waste of money.  This system won't even pick up a car 25' from the camera.  I've been watching an abandoned vehicle part 30 feet from the camera in front of my house for 3 weeks.  Last night the car was removed and the camera didn't even pick it up.  I am so pissed!  3 weeks of watching and waiting and poof it's gone without a trace.  Must be magic!  How can this not pick up a car at 25 feet?  I will be removing this child's toy and have a real camera system put in.  Wish I would have saved $300 or so dollars to put towards a real system.  This system sucks! 

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dachippig wrote:

How can this not pick up a car at 25 feet? 

The range of the motion detection is documented here: https://kb.arlo.com/1089592/How-far-away-can-my-Arlo-camera-detect-motion Though in my experience it will often sense motion of large objects that are further away, it won't always do that. 

The motion detection uses PIR sensors, and the range for those is generally limited to 15-35 feet.  I believe the longer range detection requires a larger lens than will fit in the Arlo camera.  So 15-23 feet is pretty typical for these sensors.

Systems that can detect motion from further away are processing the video - which needs too much power for a battery powered device.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation