Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
jnsnAZ
Star
Star

I have two Pro 2 cameras and base station. System has worked perfectly since I installed (5 years.   I am on the free 7 day storage deal,  and have for 5 yrs received alert emails every day.   

Suddenly  (90 days ago) emails stopped.   I have tried EVERYTHING  recommended.   And my settings are correct. And I have alerts@arlo.comin my contacts,    Nothing works.  Library still always has  last 7 days of events, but no emails coming.  They are NOT in my junk folder. Just not coming!

Only thing I tried but could not complete was .... I opted to edit profile, I erased my email address in profile,  then retyped it as though it was new.  Supposedly I would get a text from Arlo asking me ot CONFIRM new email address.   NEVER received that  text.  Perhaps their system sees that I inserted same email as before and therefore does not send me the text to confirm.

Is this punishment from Arlo becausee I am not a paid subscriber and have a 5yr old system?

I've tried writing to SUPPORT, but they suggest ONLY things that I have tried.  SO I'm stuck.  And tempted to  go out and buy new system.  Can anyone help???

26 REPLIES 26
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

I have similar arlo setup and still receive email motion notifications, although arlo had previously said they intend to discontinue email alerts as of 1st July this year for EOL products such as the arlo pro cameras.

The option to use email notifications is specifically selectable in each camera rule for the operating mode so probably should check these first.

Push notifications to your mobile device is an alternate option that is available.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jnsnAZ wrote:

I opted to edit profile, I erased my email address in profile,  then retyped it as though it was new.  Supposedly I would get a text from Arlo asking me ot CONFIRM new email address.   NEVER received that  text.  Perhaps their system sees that I inserted same email as before and therefore does not send me the text to confirm.

They could be just ignoring the email address, since it isn't actually changed.  But there are some situations where Arlo will blacklist an email address, and since you aren't getting email alerts that could be happening.  I'm tagging the mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) so they can follow up.

A workaround would be to create an entirely new account using a different email address, and move the cameras and base to it.

@jnsnAZ wrote:

Is this punishment from Arlo becausee I am not a paid subscriber

No.  But if you want phone support, you could try subscribing for a month, and then dropping the subscription after the problem is resolved.

Have you tried enabling web push notifications?  If you have, are they working properly?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @jnsnAZ 

I made an adjustment to your email, can you test your email alerts again.

Thanks 

jnsnAZ
Star
Star

Wow, Shane.   I noted that email alerts began again on Sept 6..  First email alert in 3+ months.  Can you tell me how the problem happened and how I might avoid it happening again?  

Thankfully,

JIm 

WOW- Yes, I noticed.  SO thankful!!  I'd tried EVERYTHING. 

Shane fixed alerts.png

Sooner70
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo has stopped sending email alerts to my profile email address a couple of weeks ago.  I've posted my problem and have been through all the community postings and today I did a factory reset on the base station and then deleted the base station and added it back to my app and added my cameras back.  It started sending email alerts to my wife's email after a couple hours but not mine.  I added another one of my email address to the email alerts and I get the Arlo alerts on this email address but still nothing on my profile email address.  Is there some way to get my profile email address checked to see if it has been blacklisted and fixed?  I'm out of ideas now.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey @Sooner70 Can you test this again now.

Thanks 

Sooner70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, it worked this time but it went to my junk folder even though I had the alert address in my contact list.   I checked my contact list to make sure the address was correct and moved the alert email to my inbox and tried it again. This time, the alert came to my inbox.  Both of my email addresses are receiving alerts along with my wife's email address.  Can you tell me what was happening with my email address?

Thank you for your assistance.  

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Mine still works, but https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a said e-mail notifications were supposed to have ended on 7/1/2023? I am confused. Is this outdated or is there an updated date?

Sooner70
Aspirant
Aspirant

My email alerts have been working for a few days now. There was something wrong with the Arlo mail system that apparently was blocking my address. One of the Moderators did something that fixed it.  I don’t know about the EOL changed. 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@ant ,

To have a guess, the motion/push email alert notifications that are derived via the arlo server such as motion in activity zones etc that are embedded in the arlo 7days cloud service would have been impacted when they ended that cloud service.

Since arlo backtracked the 7days EOL proposal it probably was to difficult to change the 7day cloud service contact to remove the email/push notifications only.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

I didn't get any motion notifications emails today. 😞 What about the rest of you?

Sooner70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is a list if things that I tried when I stopped getting email alerts on my profile email address and some learnings:

1. Check that the alerts are not going to Junk or Spam folders.  Make sure you have "alerts@arlo.com in your email contacts.  This avoids alerts going to junk or spam folders.
  2. Use your rest button on you base station and rest you base station.  I would have put this step up after #4 but this seems less likely to be the issue unless you have had some problems with your base station.  Then go to #3.
  3. Remove all your devices on the Arlo app and then restart the Arlo app and add your devices back.  I found that my cameras retained some of their configurations so it didn't take too long to re-create my system.
  4. Add a different email address to your device rules setting and see if that email address works.  I tried this and I started getting alerts on my new address.  If this email address works, you should contact one of the moderators and ask to have your email address checked to see if the Arlo server has blocked your address.  This was my ultimate fix.  It just so happens that I had this same email blacklisting occur on a different web application and I had to get my email address whitelisted so this type of issue may be more common.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

I don't see any in my spam folders. I tried two new e-mail addresses to test an indoor camera quickly. Same results. No detected motion e-mails. I do get my 2FA code e-mails though so that still work. It looks like only motion detections aren't going to my e-mail addresses as of today (was fine last night). 😞  Ugh, I don't want have to reset all ten cameras (original and Pro 2) setups. Most of them are high to reach. 😞

Sooner70
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seemed like it was a couple of hours before I started getting email on the new address so perhaps there is something in the Arlo mail server.  Maybe wait a bit and try again.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

Someone else mentioned the same problem in my https://www.reddit.com/r/arlo/comments/16olddh/is_anyone_else_not_getting_arlos_motion_detected/ thread and then said it worked again. So, I retested and got the notifications e-mails again in all three address (old original and two new ones[will remove after I post]! I guess Arlo had an issue on their end?

Now, they just need to fix their iOS notifications that sometimes stop working (have to kill and relaunch its iOS app to fix it).

spoweroz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hardware: VMC404PAerH4 Firmware: 1.080.20.1_23d50a19d Serial No: A4B71A73A0A0A

My pro 4 cameras are working but when armed are NOT sending push notification or email. Both have worked in the past and I have no idea when they stopped working. I have updated the applications, tried the solutions in the forum but they still don't issue any notifications or email. This is concerning that they should stop working so easily given they are for security. Is this an known global problem??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, notifications are working here. Have you rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app?

Sooner70
Aspirant
Aspirant

Try using a different email address in your email notifications. If that works, it may be a problem with the ARLO email system and your address has been blacklisted for some reason.  That was my problem. 

spoweroz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, been online with support but still can’t get push notifications working but now receiving emails

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@spoweroz 

Are you receiving the standard push notification when motion is detected, or none at all? Do you have the rule setup within the mode for the desired camera?

ant
Mentor
Mentor

In mine, e-mails still work but iPhone's iOS notifications stopped working this morning (PDT). I had to restart Arlo iOS app to fix it as mentioned in my https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Is-anyone-else-not-getting-notifications-from-Arlo-Secure-s... thread.

Dbuckdav
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Shayne

i have not made any changes. I have attempted every restart set possible and swapped emails. Can you make it so I can start receiving the emails again like you did for the others. Please?

jnsnAZ
Star
Star

If it is true, that they have killed our email alerts effective 11/16/23 ,  can I  receive text alerts instead (never have before)?   Or, since I have never had a pay subscription, can I upgrade and pay for a subscription and get email alerts again? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jnsnAZ wrote:

Or, since I have never had a pay subscription, can I upgrade and pay for a subscription and get email alerts again? 

No.  I do have a subscription, and the option has disappeared on my cameras (not just the ones on the EOL list).

@jnsnAZ wrote:

can I  receive text alerts instead (never have before)?  

No.  Text alerts were possible before, because most phone providers set up a phone email address.  Emails sent to that address would show up as texts on the phone.

FWIW, I personally think that removing this feature was a mistake on Arlo's part.  Though I didn't personally use it, I think it did have a lot of utility.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation