Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SableBlack
Tutor
Tutor

Hi!

Due to the lockdown I've been at home "playing" with my Pro2 cameras and noticed that very regularly they go offline either when they are recording due to motion being detected or during live view. What I noticed is that when the cameras are not in use the three LEDs are solid green with the internet one blinking sometimes (which is the correct behavior). Once I click the live view button on any camera the internet LED start blinking at a constant pace until the live view is stopped, then goes back to solid green with intermittent blinking every now and then. However, sometimes (about 1 every 5 live view events or motion triggered recordings) the internet LED stops blinking and frozens either at solid green or completely off, as a result the image frozens as well and once I stop the live view I get the "Your arlo device appears offline" message (attached some pics and screenshots). The real problem is that the base station remains on that offline condition until is manually reseted (it could be offline for days), loosing all events that happen during that time frame and draining the cameras battery. I've tried removing the USB local storage but the behavior is the same and also tried changing the router. Internet works flawlessly in all other devices. I have the feeling this problem gets worse after the last firmware update on 3/31. Have anyone else face this same issue? Any hints to resolve it?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SableBlack
Tutor
Tutor

I performed the system reset today. First I remove the USB drive, then pushed the reset button for 10 seconds and waited until the base came back online, re-add it to the app and re-add the cameras. 

The outcome was actually very good. I tested today one of the cameras by manually triggering it with my hand while logging the time of each trigger event. After the whole day of testing (84 recordings) I checked the videos and all of them are in the cloud, the only observation is that two out of those 84 recordings are of a different length than the one defined (13 and 30 seconds instead of 40 sec) not sure why that happened. Tomorrow I'm going to add the USB drive and test again and hopefully it keeps on working this well

Hopefully the system keep on working this well without me needing to reset it in a regular basis

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"Offline" when recording or live viewing is normal as long as you're referring to the motion icon no longer being black. Recording should make the icon amber while live view should make it gray. The live view issue means any detection won't trigger a recording - you have to do it manually.

The blinking Internet LED simply means that data is being transferred, just like your router does.

The main issue you're seeing of the base going offline is different, however.  Have you tried force closing the app and reopening it as well as tried a browser? One thing to try if it's truly stuck is to remove all devices from Settings, My Devices and start fresh. Yeah, it's a PITA but clears out weirdnesses. Of course, you have tons of time, now, right?  🙂 Be sure to note settings, modes/rules/schedule to speed setting up again. You likely can leave the cameras installed and simply (!) press the camera sync button when needed (press the base sync button briefly, not holding it for 2 seconds, and then go to the camera - you have ~2 minutes to do this).

SableBlack
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the reply! By offline I mean the basestation getting stucked with the internet led on solid green or off. In other words like the basestation suddenly crashes when uploading the data of the live view or motion triggered recordings. And it stays that way for days if I do not manually power cycle it. The normal behavior as you said is when the internet LED either flashes for couple of times and then stays solid green and then flashes again, etc... but in this case the LED starts blinking showing data being transfer and suddenly it frozens...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try the system reset.

SableBlack
Tutor
Tutor

I performed the system reset today. First I remove the USB drive, then pushed the reset button for 10 seconds and waited until the base came back online, re-add it to the app and re-add the cameras. 

The outcome was actually very good. I tested today one of the cameras by manually triggering it with my hand while logging the time of each trigger event. After the whole day of testing (84 recordings) I checked the videos and all of them are in the cloud, the only observation is that two out of those 84 recordings are of a different length than the one defined (13 and 30 seconds instead of 40 sec) not sure why that happened. Tomorrow I'm going to add the USB drive and test again and hopefully it keeps on working this well

Hopefully the system keep on working this well without me needing to reset it in a regular basis

Thanks

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation