Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 camera is outside but AC inside

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
chocolate310
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed all of my cameras outside.  One is in the front of the house.  In 1 week the battery was low and I replaced with recharged battery.  This is the same location where I had another security camera that was plugged into AC inside the house.  It is up high and requires a tall ladder to replace the battery.  I could not find anything current about my options or recommendations.  If you plug into AC do you leave the battery in or take it out? 

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Either or... using original supplied ac adapter.

You can leave the battery in and it will not overcharge

You can take the battery out and it will function

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@chocolate310 wrote:

If you plug into AC do you leave the battery in or take it out? 

When running on AC power, you can either leave the battery in or take it out. 

I have 2 cameras on AC power. On one camera I left the battery installed. On the other AC powered camera I removed the battery. The removed battery is my spare to swap out in the other battery only powered cameras (total 4 cameras). I bought a separate charger and can swap out the batteries on the other 2 cameras that are running just on battery power. I don't have to bring the cameras inside to charge the battery, just swap the batteries with the cameras still mounted on the wall. That preserves the viewing angle and there isn't a time that there is no camera active. 

chocolate310
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your input.  When the cord is plugged in while outside, will it take the rain and snow?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I only have one Pro 2 camera with AC power and that's inside the garage. I leave the battery in just in case there's a power cut.

When the camera is outdoors, you shouldn't be using the included cable but looking to use one that is watertight at the connector. Some people are using 3rd party ones from eBay/Amazon but you use them at your own risk and risk voiding your warranty.

Currently, the official Arlo outdoor power supply has still not been replaced after it was recalled. No information about when it might be replaced

VancouverBC
Luminary
Luminary

@chocolate310 wrote:

Thank you for your input.  When the cord is plugged in while outside, will it take the rain and snow?

Apparently not recommended for use outdoors. Netgear has recalled its outdoor power cords and AC chargers. It seems only the connectors on the solar power panel are rated for exterior use. I have one camera tucked up under the eves of the garage where it won't get wet, I've used the indoor charging cable and the AC adapter is inside the unheated garage with the cord going out under the eves to the camera. I have had other electric and electronic devices in the garage for years with no problem so I'm not worried about the AC charger for the camera being in the garage where it's dry but subject to the same temperatures and humidity as outside. In my setup while the camera and the power connection are outside, they are well sheltered from rain. So it depends on how exposed your cameras are outside. Sheltered or out in the elements?

Downunda
Apprentice
Apprentice

Are you able to use one of the Arlo solar panels perhaps? I have four external cameras, each connected to an Arlo solar panel and they all stay charged. I've not seen one dip below a 90% charge and yet my panels only face the sun for a part of the day.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation