Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 2 battery draining fast. Turned off Geofencing. Recharging every 3-4 days.

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
28Jha
Tutor
Tutor

I have had two Arlo Pro 2 wireless cameras and added another one approx 2 months ago. All cameras batteries had been working fine and would last approx 3 months until the next charge.
Last week after a nearly usage of less than a month after full charge, I received alerts i forming that the battery power was low (15%). And in the next 2-3 days it dropped significantly to 4-5%. I had recently added geofencing so I thought it might be the case, so cancelled geofencing. I recharged all my 3 cameras to 100% last night and today returning back from work, it’s dropped to 76/75%.
At this rate I will have to keep recharging every 3-4 days.
Can someone help me plz.
Many thanks in advance.

21 REPLIES 21
maxfed
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same question! I just got 2 camera system and since Sunday in 2 days, my battery went down from 100% to 55%.

Please advice!

28Jha
Tutor
Tutor
Just checked the battery this morning, its now 58%. Lost 17% overnight and the device wasn’t armed.
Can Arlo please advice what’s going on!!
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

The fact that the camera was not armed does not mean that it was not using battery power to maintain a wifi link to the hub.

Is this on all cameras?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
28Jha
Tutor
Tutor
Hi,
It’s happening on all three cameras.
Just got back home from work, the device was armed from 8am - 2:30pm.
The battery power is now between 47-51%.
Nhand24
Aspirant
Aspirant
So my batteries were almost fully charged before I updated the app then after they were immediately dead. So I charged all of them to 100 set them all back up. And didn’t use them at all completely disarmed and the next day I had an email saying my batteries were almost dead time to charge.??? What with that??
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi 28Jha and maxfed,

Are you getting full signal strength from your Arlo cameras to your Base Station? You can read this article to learn how to extend the battery life on your Arlo cameras: How can I extend my Arlo camera's battery life?

28Jha
Tutor
Tutor
Many thanks JessicaP.
I have looked at the link you provide to extend or maximise battery power.
Everything is normal apart from setting power management to optimised. Hope this will improve.
maxfed
Initiate
Initiate

Hi JessicaP,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, my base and the router next to each other and cameras like 1-2 feet away. I have a strong wifi signal, but the reason was in many motions for the past 2 days, and it drained half of a battery. 

BetoLeytonelada
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am having very fast battery drain issues - may have coincided with downloading the new Arlo app. Battery lasted several months on all 3 cameras until a week or so ago battery drains in 3 days. Please help!

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you're experiencing problems with your camera battery draining even when trying to use the link shown above about how to extend your battery life, please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Nhand24
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, but unarmed and completely dead overnight is not right... and I have tried the old app again and that didn’t work. Having issue since I downloaded the new app
28Jha
Tutor
Tutor
Hi All,
I had a chat with the arlo support representative on 26 Sep. She changed the order of my devices and the following morning I could see my Arlo apps going through cleaning, initialisation. Since then I have been keeping record of my battery power drainage. In a week my 3 devices has lost average 11%. On average 3 devices losing 2% every day.
Knightwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 6 cameras setup to watch over my vacation home.  The camera battery in the back of the house goes dead in less than 2 weeks with no constant motion detected. The camera watching the driveway was working fine (good battery life even with the traffic going by). Now all of sudden the battery life has greatly reduced without any notifications that it has been activated. I have reduce the quality of the picture and reduced the coverage zone on both cameras to try to save the battery life. Two cameras were added on to the original system. Which includes the camera watching the back of the house and watching the side of the house.  I paid for the graded package to see all of the 6 cameras. Is it time to change the batteries? or could it be something else? The original system is less then a year old and the add on cameras are less than 6months old. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Knightwolf wrote:

I have reduce the quality of the picture and reduced the coverage zone on both cameras to try to save the battery life.  

The cloud activity zones won't save battery life.  Whenever motion is detected (in or out of zone) the video is streamed to the cloud.  The cloud then saves the stream when it is in-zone (and discards when it is out-of-zone).

Reducing motion sensitivity and/or adjusting the camera to minimize undesired motion detection are the best ways to reduce the streaming power use.  Personally I don't think there's much impact to reducing the video quality, though I really haven't tested that enough to know for sure.

Another aspect is that when the camera is disconnected from the base, it actively seeks to reconnect.  That can use a lot of power.  Moving the camera closer to the base (or the base closer to the camera) can help here.

That said, a lot of people here have reported that their battery drain has increased sharply over the past couple of months.  I don't know the cause (or what is being done about to investigate).  

Knightwolf
Aspirant
Aspirant

4 of the 5 cameras are in range and have great signal strength and are with in the range of the base unit, including the 2 that the battery is draining quickly. But will a WiFi signal booster help?

Timbre
Aspirant
Aspirant

For the past 4-6 wk my 4 Arlo pro 2 cameras have all been consuming power at an alarming rate. They used to last months on a single charge but now they last less than a week. I bought some new batteries, but the same thing keeps happening. It's as if all of the batteries suddenly expired at the same time.  They will charge up, but none of them will hold a charge anymore for more than about a week. It has to be something in the cameras or software. The cameras are not in places where hard wiring is an option without making a mess.Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.    Tim

bkowalk
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've read through these articles and several others in the forum, and am following all their steps: 

https://kb.arlo.com/291/How-can-I-extend-my-Arlo-camera-s-battery-life

https://kb.arlo.com/1110197/How-do-I-change-my-Arlo-camera-s-power-management-settings

Batteries are the stock ones that came with these, brand new from Costco 3 months ago. Firmware is latest, cameras are recording on "Best Battery Life" mode. System is always armed, but videos and motion recording are set to low enough that the cameras only record 5 minutes or less per day. They're only about 50 feet from the base station and have full signal strength according to the app. I'm in Utah, so it's been a little cold (bouncing between 20-40 F the last month or so), but I would assume that wouldn't shrink battery life from 6 months to 1...

Is there anything else that could be going on here? I'm seeing this issue with all 4 cameras I purchased. Base station is VMB3500r4 - the one that comes with the Costco Arlo Pro 2 set.

Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks all!

Jeg85
Aspirant
Aspirant
Losing battery In a week . They used to last for 6 weeks but in the last 2 weeks they have been losing 20% over night . Why has this suddenly happened ?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @bkowalk

Please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. Arlo Tech Support

Kasi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem I have reduced camera sensitivity from 75% to 20% and I am still getting too many videos of wavering trees and batteries need to be charged almost daily. So annoying!

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Kasi wrote:

I am having the same problem I have reduced camera sensitivity from 75% to 20% and I am still getting too many videos of wavering trees and batteries need to be charged almost daily. So annoying!

Unfortunately, the camera is doing what you told it to do, detecting stuff that moves around out there.

Any way you can point it away from the trees?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation