Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

One of my four cameras doesn't sense motion. Tried motion test and change sensitivity.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Chris720
Follower
Follower

One of my 4 Cameras doesn’t sense motion. I completed the motion test and changed the detection level but it still doesn’t pick up any motion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris720 wrote:
One of my 4 Cameras doesn’t sense motion. I completed the motion test and changed the detection level but it still doesn’t pick up any motion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the motion detection test worked, then the camera hardware is detecting the motion.  One thing to check is whether you adjusted the threshold in the camera rule(s).  The threshold in the motion detection test is only for testing, it doesn't change the real threshold(s).  https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Your cameras use PIR (passive infrared) sensors to detect the motion.  That technology has a limited distance - about 20 feet.  Large objects (trucks for example) can be picked up from farther away, but it will be hit-or-miss.

Camera positioning is also a factor - the cameras are most sensitive to side-to-side motion (across the field of view), and they are more senstive to motion at the bottom of the field of view than they are at the top.  Arlo provides some information on this here: https://kb.arlo.com/000051462/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Pro-2-camera

Some users have also reported that camera skins can interfere with the PIR sensors, so if you are using camera skins you might try removing them.

Another possibility is that the camera might be losing its connection to the base station - in which case, the motion is being detected, but the camera can't send the notification to the base.  Are you seeing any evidence of a poor connection?  For instance, timeouts when you try to live stream the camera?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation