Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Pgsullivan
Luminary
Luminary
Hi.

i have a camera indoors pointing outside when the night vision comes on it reflects off the glass and can’t see a thing

I know the cameras can go outside but my porch level is reachable by hand and with the cameras being magnetic and no way of permanent securing, am concerned about getting it stolen. Is there such a thing as a glass filter that lets night vision work? Or can you buy something to make an outdoor enclosure? Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Glass is going to reflect any lighting source. Either have some external lighting in place of the camera's or mount the camera outdoors, perhaps on a screw-on mount. Arlo has some outdoor mounts but virtually any mount that has a 1/4"-20 thread will work. Some creative mounting locations may be useful, too, to help protect the camera from removal.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You CAN NOT use the IR illuminators thru glass..... Glass reflects most IR and it will wash out the camera view.

You only option whit the Pro2 is to add external lighting and use the ac power so it should detect movement thru the glass ( will not work thru glass on batteries )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
steve_t
Master Master
Master

As above, the PIR motion detection won't work through glass. If you have some other way to trigger the recording eg another camera outside in a hidden area, then turn off Night Vision in the camera settings. This merely turns off the IR illuminator function. The video will still record in good quality black and white. Beware of inside light sources reflecting off the glass to the camera though.

I have 2 cameras at face level though they are discrete with a black skin and they are mounted on a black fence. I also wonder about theft but nobody even notices the cameras unless they're pointed out.
You could look at using a screw base. This will make it a little bit harder and more time consuming to steal the camera. Alternatively, you could look at a tether for the camera while continuing to use the magnetic mount

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation