Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Pro 2 Cameras won’t sync with VMB4000 Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Stuart_S
Follower
Follower

I’ve just spent considerable time and effort in getting a replacement Arlo Pro 2 camera to sync with my VMB4000 Base Station. The short version is up-front for those who just want it all to be over. The long version is in case anyone from Arlo cares.
The Short Version:
Based on my experience, I don’t believe that any of the new/replacement Arlo Pro 2 cameras will sync with the base station while the base station is connected to the internet. The solution written-up by WildSide at: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Arlo-Pro-2-4-Cameras-No-Sync-and-No-Support/m-p/1743564 seems to be the only way to add new cameras. This involves unplugging the network cable from the base station, power-cycling the unit, then manually syncing each camera using the button on top of the base station while it is disconnected from the internet.
The Long version:
One of my cameras stopped detection motion. I called the support number (when I finally found it). The person at the call centre was courteous and friendly and went through their script before agreeing that I’d done everything to confirm that the camera was faulty and could be replaced under warrantee. They raised an ‘RMA’ and told me I’d need to pay to return my camera before a new one could be sent out. They provided the address too. I got a link to complete the RMA, then I sent the camera the next day, only to receive a post-paid envelope the same day. The envelope was for the return of my camera: It seems I didn’t need to pay postage after all. A day later I received a replacement camera but I was surprised to find that the power plugs were European, not Australian. I put in a spare battery and tried to sync the camera using the app button (‘Add New Device’). No luck – the camera flashed blue for around 2 minutes, then flashed amber. I tried again, no luck. I tried using the base station button to sync – no luck. I tried many more times, including plugging the camera into one of my own power supplies. Still no luck.
Since I had a case number and emails with case updates I used the link provided to update my case. No response. Tried again – nothing. Often the case update page responded with a ‘Server Error’. I also emailed the customer support email address - nothing. I called the support number. The person I spoke to said that she had no updates from me. She also said that my email had been attached to the case but was ‘encrypted’ and she couldn’t read it. We then went through the script associated with camera sync problems, including a procedure similar to WildSide’s solution but missing out the power-cycling step. Then we got disconnected. I called back and we started the script all over again. Then we got disconnected. I called back and got someone else. We started the script again and I managed to explain that we had already gone through each of these steps. They agreed that I needed a new camera, since the replacement must be faulty. They raised another ‘RMA’ and I got an email with a link so that I could complete the process. The first thing I noticed was that the camera part number wasn’t the …AUS part number but an …EUS number. I guessed that this was another European camera. Not knowing whether this was the problem (i.e. European and Australian versions being incompatible) I reluctantly called the support number. I was told that the Australian cameras were not available and they’d have to raise a new case number to create a back order. They said that they’d update me on progress every 3 days. It’s now nine days and I’ve heard nothing.
In frustration I decided to go buy a spare camera from a local store (yes, they are available). I returned home and the camera wouldn’t sync. I got a replacement camera from the store. This wouldn’t sync either. At this point I wondered if the base station might be the problem. I have a spare base station because I bought my original cameras as two separate kits. I got the spare base station going. Tried to sync the new camera. No luck.
At this point I started Googling and discovered how common this problem is. That’s when I discovered WildSide’s fix. The new Australian camera now synced. I tried the replacement (European) camera that synced too ! By this stage I had six cameras connected to the base station. Imagine my anger when, within 60s I had a pop-up message inviting me to pay $9.99 a month so that I could use all six cameras !
In summary: I paid $12 shipping a camera due to poor advice from the call centre. I spend hours on the phone having to repeat my details and my story to multiple support staff, who should have gone straight to WildSide’s solution. Even better, why not fix the (presumably) software error that prevents replacement cameras from syncing while the base station is connected to the internet ? I paid $248 for a camera I didn't need. Finally, adding insult to injury, Arlo then throw-up a screen wanting me to pay $10 a month the moment I manage to resolve this frustrating episode.
When I first bought my system, I told everyone how easy it was to install. I’m not telling them that now.

1 REPLY 1
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Stuart_S

I apologize for the inconvenience. I have escalated your case & customer support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. 

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation