Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Install, User

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Intel1212
Aspirant
Aspirant
Got new 2 camera, base station today. Easy to set up, did not need to crack manual. Needed an indoor solution to watch home when away as I have someone staying to watch dogs and home. This complements another, older security camera outdoor/perimeter system.

Generally saw good reviews, but did not see one, IMO, glaring downside. My home is blanketed with an Openmesh multie AP 2.4 and 5 the system due to size of home. I see these cameras connect to base station via Wifi in own private wireless network. Yuck.....

I would have expected an advanced mode to allow the cameras to utilize my home (superior) network (like the Belkin Wemo technical model).

Okay, then if that is the design, then I would expect better diags/telemetry to see tx/rx wifi levels, and be able to set Wifi 2.4 ghz channel asignment. I see the arlo base selected an existing channel. So, I have to move channel from another AP in my home to a new channel.

I understand most users dont need or understand or care to understand these type of settings, but still with this product having Netgear origins, I expect a bit more.

Perhaps there is advanced settings I dont know about? I did look briefly at the included quickstart guide, but saw nothing. See other posts here with similar thoughts. Answer is to get another base station (which leads to more questions, e.g. can I link them to operate as one system?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Two things...

no u can't change the channel of the bases, they will end up on the Same channel as a nearby router/ access.... ( so don't change one of your device's channel as it's moot) ...arlo/ Netgear determined that if the base and nearby router are on the same channel there's less collisions 

also so if the cameras are to be inside as you mentioned... You can go with 2 Q cameras which will hook into your home wifi system ( and have a better picture  ) ( if u can return them ) but they run as separate units and each must be armed

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Two things...

no u can't change the channel of the bases, they will end up on the Same channel as a nearby router/ access.... ( so don't change one of your device's channel as it's moot) ...arlo/ Netgear determined that if the base and nearby router are on the same channel there's less collisions 

also so if the cameras are to be inside as you mentioned... You can go with 2 Q cameras which will hook into your home wifi system ( and have a better picture  ) ( if u can return them ) but they run as separate units and each must be armed

Intel1212
Aspirant
Aspirant
Cool. Good info @TomMac, especially on my comme ts about changing wifi channels. Will look into Q cameras. Think I will keep what I have, as I see more upside for my uses (and I am leaving for airport in a couple of hours... really needed something. Works, just I would have wanted option to leverage my network.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI... as you are prob in the know ... The way the bases work ( arlo/arlo pro/arlo pro2 ) is that they set up their own wifi network ( 2.4ghz ) to talk to the cameras only...there is no access into the base.  That's why if you really need more coverage, the only way by adding more bases to cover said area.

You can add bases off other access points or extenders with ethernet ports... they will all appear in the same app/prgm but the bases need to be armed separately... I actually find this as an advantage as I split cameras front to back and each base can use it's own schedule.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation