Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Piano-Man
Star
Star
I read an article on the website this morning stating that Arlo are now a separate company from Netgear and there is a new Arlo app, which we must install otherwise we lose access to the Arlo system after the 30th September. The new app apparently launched on 26th August, or thereabouts. I only just bought and set up the system. My Arlo app, from Google Play store (UK) and developed by Netgear, says the app version is from 27th June, predating the new app launch - but there is no other app available in the Google store... Should there be a new app in the UK?
189 REPLIES 189
cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’ve deleted and re-installed the app... no change. People who I have granted access to get the alerts... I do not. This is stupid.
hhzhao
Star
Star

For anyone on IOS 13 (beta), the new Arlo app 2.8 has a major issue running on devices with iOS 13. That is the notification and alerts DO not working!, no notification message, no badges, no alert sound, nothing at all!!!

iOS 13 will be released in few weeks, and Arlo legacy (2.7.x) will be end of its life by the end of September. This issue better be fixed by then, I hope!

Arlo-S__ks
Tutor
Tutor

Get your money back NOW this is the worst company i have ever dealt with. They are known for taking up to 4 months to fix a problem that they caused. And when they try to make things better ie. update the firm ware nothing works right for a minimum of 2 to 3 months. I just wish someone would have told me so I wouldn't have wasted my money and ended up with all of these problems. Good luck to you if you decide to keep the camera.

illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice

No notifications for me either. Tried everything, deleting app, restarting base station, removing cameras. Honestly just drives me insane.

UPDATE: Seems my problem is bigger than just the app. Arlo pushed out the following firmware update on 3rd September:

"Arlo Base Station VMB4000 - 1.14.1.1_2913_78b189a"

Since that update my cameras are not recording anything and not sending notifications when triggered by motion. As I mentioned, I tried all the usual troubleshooting, but still nothing. My library is empty of recordings since 3rd Sep.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@krypttic wrote:

Why did I need to get the Legacy app at all?  Is this required to use the new app?

The legacy app is just the older Netgear one.  They're calling it "legacy" just to distinguish it from the new Arlo one.

If you never had the old app installed on your device, then you don't need to install it (and shouldn't).

But if you had the app installed last week, then you already had the "legacy" app - and you do need to switch over to the new Arlo one by the end of September.

ruud9110
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not sure this is related to iOS13 Beta. I'm indeed running iOS13 Beta, however my wife is on iOS12 and is having the same issues after installing the new version.

cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does anybody know when the new Apple TV app will be released?  Can't find it in the app store, however get this message when attempting to login to the legacy app on Apple TV...

"To access your account, please download our new Arlo app or disable two-step verification."

webmicester2
Aspirant
Aspirant

The newest one is just called Arlo. Arlo Legacy is the old one (from Aug 15th). Instead of just updating the old one, they decided on the stupid idea of making ANOTHER ONE.

illuminous
Apprentice
Apprentice

@webmicester2 wrote:

The newest one is just called Arlo. Arlo Legacy is the old one (from Aug 15th). Instead of just updating the old one, they decided on the stupid idea of making ANOTHER ONE.

Before we all go blame Arlo for this, let's just rememebr that they may have had no choice in this. The Developer (and holder of the Developer Licence) of the previous app was Netgear. The new app has changed this to Arlo Technologies. 

I am assuming that the only way to effectively move the app between developer licences is to release an entirely new app.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@illuminous wrote:

... I am assuming that the only way to effectively move the app between developer licences is to release an entirely new app.

As they say...

Arlo Technologies wrote:

Why are we requiring this change?

Arlo is now a separate company from NETGEAR, and we need to migrate to new, separate developer accounts on the App Store and Google Play

And of course the old app was digitally signed by Netgear - and that had to change too.

There's a ton of stuff that has to happen when companies split or merge.  Facilities, signage, rebranding literature, contracts that need to re-done, distribution channels that have to change ...,  - as well as the forum web site and app changes we see from the outside.

coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Go on  Youtube.  I couldn't find an app and it turned out that the needed addition was in my present Arlo under settings where it asked for a additonal sign in.  You need to do it.  Shows on youtube how to and where.

coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We're aware of an issue with notifications and the iOS13 beta. We will have a fix for this ready for release prior to the official release of the iOS13. I will keep you updated on when this will be available.

JamesC

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

What a PITA.

We have two iPhones and five iPads with the Arlo app installed.  So I have to pull down the new 2.8 app on seven devices.  I started with my 11” iPad Pro and after installing it, I learned that my Geofencing would be turned off because I only use our iPhones for controlling geofencing and neither of those have the new app installed yet.  So I grab my iPhone and install the new app there as well.  I answer all of the usual questions for granting permissions as I did on my iPad.  And, of course, I save the now “legacy” app because Arlo has pretty much a 100% history of screwing up software and sometime with horribly catastrophic consequences.  For me both versions show up with the same logo on my devices, so it is impossible to discern between them without opening them up.  So I had to sequester the old version in locations where I would not confuse the two icons and I placed the new version in its rightful place on my iOS screens.  Now I start to add my iPhone Xs as my tracked device.  My wife’s iPhone doesn’t show up, of course, because it doesn’t have the new version of the app loaded yet.  So I proceed to save the setting and also as usual, I get the notifications telling me my Geofencing settings have changed and I need to open my Arlo app (which is open, of course, already open). Then my Arlo app gets logged out.  I log back in and I get logged back out a second time.  This also happens on my iPhone which is logged into a different Arlo count and which has shared access to the devices owned by the account I use on my iPad.  Why that device gets logged out, is beyond me, but maybe it is because that is the “tracked” device.  So this is a pain, right?  Well, I have 12 Arlo devices that each have their own Geofencing settings, so I get to do this 12 times.  We also use four different Arlo accounts on our iPhones and iPads, so my wife and I can each look at our Arlo devices on our iPhones and on iPad without being logged out of one of them.  I shall see exactly how that factors into the workload Arlo just handed me (again) for no obvious benefit on my part,  Actually, I misspoke, I think this update may finally eliminate the long list of irrelevant historical devices from my list of Geofencing eligible devices.  If it is true, that will be a small help.

Hours wasted...

coyotealarm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Forgot to add that I could only get the Profile with the added protection button to work when I logged into Arlo Web Portal/Smart Home service. It wouldn't show on Legacy. Will see come the end of the month if this works.  There is no app presently.

krypttic
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, I understand the need for a new app, but why the need for the Arlo Legacy app if the new Arlo app was released on the same day anyway?

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@krypttic wrote:

Yes, I understand the need for a new app, but why the need for the Arlo Legacy app if the new Arlo app was released on the same day anyway?

As I now see (but didn’t earlier), the Arlo Legacy name,  new logo color and expiration date, were likely the only changes to the prior Arlo app.  It is extremely handy to be able to differentiate between the prior version and this new version which kept the same logo as the prior app before the latest update to that prior app.  So the old app needed to be updated.   There were likely some technical issues in the App Store that prohibited Arlo from changing the app ownership away from Netgear without creating the new app.  So both were realeased on the same day to effect the necessary changes and keep the two differentiated.

I actually commend Arlo for keeping the legacy app available as insurance in the event something weird happened during the release and to allow customers to migrate (which takes some work for geofencing) to the new app at their own pace (within reason) rather than breaking Geofencing for everyone who uses it immediately upon release of the new app.  Keeping both was a service to Arlo customers for sure.  The switch was painful, but dictating the timing by immediately sunsetting the prior app would have been really bad.

StuBee
Luminary
Luminary

Krypttic,

The "Arlo Legacy" app is the old app,.....just renamed to hopefully avoid confusion (I guess not).  There is a transition period between providing the new app for people to install, and removal of the old app.

It would have been nice if they stated to search for the developer name "Arlo Technologies, Inc"...as the new "Arlo" app for me was way down the list in the Play store when searching.  I almost installed "Arlo" by a developer "Mobile Doorman" which i assume is unrelated.

iCindy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Downloaded new app, you think they would have made a slight difference between the apps, but they both are identical, so now I cannot tell the difference, someone could have made at least the eye on the bird of the new app a differenet color.

They are right next to each other and have no idea what one is the new one....

A1_most-Done
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will access still be available on PC and MAC?  Announcement only covers Apple and Google Aps info.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AncientGeek wrote:
Keeping both was a service to Arlo customers for sure.  The switch was painful, but dictating the timing by immediately sunsetting the prior app would have been really bad.

I agree.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@iCindy wrote:

Downloaded new app, you think they would have made a slight difference between the apps, but they both are identical, so now I cannot tell the difference, someone could have made at least the eye on the bird of the new app a differenet color.

They are right next to each other and have no idea what one is the new one....

They actually did.  I thought the same as you until I realized there is an update to the original app as well which changed the icon color and name.

MaryRose
Guide
Guide
Old says Netgear under it new technology under it in store
Retired_Member
Not applicable
On the previous app when using a tablet such as an iPad the multiple cameras would fill the screen, now there are small boxes only. any plans to fix this to make it like the old app? Using as baby monitor and want to actually be able to see the images
thessler1
Initiate
Initiate
Thank you. I've been searching forever for this app. Cant believe they release a new one with literally no helpful information.