Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My camera is not recording motion

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Matt838383
Guide
Guide

Massively disappointed in these cameras.
1- when these cameras start to record they then stop when motition is not detected... great but let’s say I’ve walked to the boot of my car, then stood looking in the back of the car for about 15 seconds... it stops recording then saves n sends that clip to the cloud, but if I walk away from the boot of the car it doesn’t restart to record me as it’s too busy sending the clip to the cloud, so you miss the second half of what should be recorded...
2- only reason I bought these were because they were wireless, well they don’t reach very far as you loose the signal, and the battery’s are crap, only record about 150 clips (which sounds a lot but last about a week) so because of this all 3 of my cameras are hard wired which defeats the whole object of buying them.
3- cameras just randomly go ‘offline’. Sometimes for 24 hours then just randomly come back ‘online’ all cameras are close to hub/base station....
All this along with all sorts of other stuff, can’t snooze cameras, so if your in back garden cameras just continue to record, which sounds ok but runs battery down, washing on a line runs battery out, so you have to remember to turn cameras off, then remember later on when you’ve finished in garden to turn cameras back on again (which you always forget).
You can’t individually put cameras on timers, it’s all or none at all....
App is hard to use...
and before all the gurus come on, I’ve adjusted the sensitivity, adjusted the quality of the recordings to try n prolong the battery life, stop the recording problems. I was sold the dream but actually got a nightmare...

12 REPLIES 12
Dannybear
Master
Master

Regards item 1, yes there is a lag between recording events but the cameras stream directly to the cloud via the base station. The recording duration can be fixed and adjustable up to 5mins.

Regards item 2, the wifi operating distance is what it is for wifi devices so nothing out of the ordinary. You can get around the distance issue by using a second base station positioned closer to the camera or using a wifi range extender to position your existing base station closer. Either way will cost you.

Regards item 3,
The battery life is based on usage and again nothing out of the ordinary. They drain quickly if you have a lot of motion events or if the signal to the base station is weak. Having said this there is a known issue with the base firmware that causes the base to lockup and so the camera battery drains rapidly, this should be considered.

Regards the camera disabling issues, yes this is a limitation and will not likely to be improved in the short term. Arlo have started by implementing a token mute for notifications but not what you want to save the camera battery.

Matt838383
Guide
Guide
My recordings ARE set to 5 mins long, but if I stand still for 5/10 seconds it thinks the recording has stopped, goes to save it, then I carry on moving and then because the camera is busy sending the clip to the cloud it fails to continue to record what happens next...
Secondly, I have had to love my cameras closer, it says a range of 50m on the box, mine can’t even reach 20 without loosing signal so that’s false infomation.
Dannybear
Master
Master
Regards the motion recordings, if you’re running mode’s camera rule recording duration is fixed for maximum but the camera is not doing this then the system is broken. Likely a base firmware issue or the camera settings are muddled and needs to be reset. Have you tried removing the camera from the settings and re-adding it?

Regards the wifi distance range, the specification on the box is best case that is normally based on clear line of sight and no environmental noise. Although in a real environment this never happens.

If your wifi savvy, you can check how busy the environment is and try choosing a wifi channel that is more quiet.

Best place to start would be to check the wifi signal of your local wifi modem on your phone when standing next to the camera to make a comparison. The base station matches it’s wifi channel to the local wifi modem channel as well as signal strength to manage channel sharing using channel 1, 6 & 11.

Try to understand that with all the issues that have been ongoing for years that the product is likely to be superseded by the time it gets sorted.

Matt838383
Guide
Guide
So how do I sort this ‘base update’ thing out then. I can live with that the signal strength between my hub and wireless cameras is crap (even though my phone will reach) I can live with the face the camera battery’s don’t last more than a week in a medium/low activity area, but what I can’t live with is the fact I’ve got over a thousand recordings and none of them record over a 90 seconds long even if I dance in front of the camera for a full five minutes
Dannybear
Master
Master
Can you clarify if the recording duration settings in the camera rule for the running mode is set for “record until activity stops” or “record for a fixed length of time”.

Prove that if you have it set for fixed that the duration of recordings are correct length.

Literally dancing from a far distance will not trigger the motion detection, movement across the field of view should. The motion sensor range is up to 25ft on maximum sensitivity.

Maybe try the camera inside your home such as a living area to see if it continues to record as you move around.

Regards the Base, try power cycling it, if no better, reseat the camera’s battery, then progress to removing and re-adding the camera from the app settings.
Matt838383
Guide
Guide
All 3 cameras are set on ‘record until activity stops’ all sensitivity is at maximum. And I’ve disconnected them and reconnected them a few times over the last few month.
I just want to give you an example.... yesterday I was cleaning the patio which is only 2meters wide by 6 long. My camera is above this, starring directly at it, it’s the Center of the camera shot from a birds eye view. I cleaned it for about 60 mins, moving all the time, never went even to the edge of the camera position. When I looked back on camera later I only had 5 recordings and the longest one was 90 seconds.... that’s where the frustration lies. If someone was to break in (which that’s why I’ve got them up) it probably would only record first 60 seconds then not get the rest
Dannybear
Master
Master
Have you checked the internet upload and download speeds are adequate? Maybe if the upload is too slow the Camera gets bound up.

Apart from the above I have nothing further to add except to say that the system is obviously deficient and not fit for purpose.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Matt838383

The cameras detect motion best from side to side left to right or right to left. I have provided the position article below as well as a screenshot of the cameras viewing angle. You may also try & adjust the sensitivity up by 1 value until you get the desired results.

"Ensure that side-to-side traffic crosses Arlo's field of view. Arlo's motion sensor is much more sensitive to side-to-side movement across its field of view than to movement directly toward or away from the camera. The best area for motion detection is 5 feet to 20 feet (1.5 to 6 meters) from the camera position."

How do I position my Arlo wire-free camera?

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 9.41.09 AM.png

Matt838383
Guide
Guide
So what are we saying here? If a burglar walks from back to front whilst these cameras are on there’s a ‘poor chance’ it will record? I mean come on... what’s the point then? Shall I have a sign up saying ‘burglars walk from side to side when breaking in’
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Matt838383 wrote:
So what are we saying here? 

Your camera is overhead, and positioned facing downwards, correct?

The advice from @ShayneS  is to make sure that the left and/or right edges of the field of view cover the approach.  For instance, if the doorway is at the bottom of the field of view, then shift the camera so it is on the left or right edge instead.

One option (though it costs) is to power the camera using an outdoor charger, and optionally get CVR for it. 

NewfieDrool
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Matt

like you I’m finding it’s the camera positioning that is important. I struggle as I’ve a small wall and window of sight and have had motion detection problems and I’ve shifted it away from the main area I want to cover which in my case is my van. I’ve had to almost aim it at my garage wall so the van is to one side.

i only purchased the single camera kit to try it out but yes it’s not great at picking up movement from directly in front. 

Matt838383
Guide
Guide
Wish I’d of never bought them. If I put it on an angle (either to left or right) which I can’t anyway. Then you wouldn’t see the face of the person who is trying get into your house. So many problems with these things. Rang up today and I’ve never experienced such a poor after care phone service. After 70 mins on the phone my diagnosis is that the camera doesn’t work because my camera strength is just flickering between 2 and 3 and and not 4. Well yeah.... derrrr it’s not recording in the same room as the hub
Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation