Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

My Arlo Base Station VMB4000 has conflict with Nighthawk X6S AC4000.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Tiellos
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Base Station VMB4000 has conflict with Nighthawk X6S AC4000.

The Arlo base has a lot delay in sending notification of the cameras, live image of the cameras with more than 20 seconds of daley, and the Nighthawk X6S AC4000 router is with the orange connection light and blinking too slow. 
The PC connection light is white and blinking fast, I have 400mb of internet, I think internet would not be the problem here.
The base is connected with cable direct to the router. 
Can you help me with this problem? Thank you!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's nothing wrong with the base or router. I have both of them and it works fine. For the amber connection LED on the router, that's because the base uses a 100Mbps connection. There's simply no need for faster since the base can only stream 5 cameras max at once. With a spike of about 1.5Mbps for each camera, that's 7.5Mbps total which will never swamp that 100Mbps connection. The Pro base also uses USB2.x for the USB drive connection for the same reason.

Slow notifications can be due to the use of Arlo Smart - do you subscribe to that? The video has to be uploaded to the server which processes it for Smart and then sends the notification. If you don't subscribe to Smart, push notifications should be nearly instantaneous while email notifications are only sent once the video has completely uploaded.  Of course, other things get in there, too, with any slowness in the Internet between your router and the servers adding delay. Be aware that most folks seem to use a server located in Ireland, regardless of where they live, so the distance and overall traffic to get to the servers and back can be significant. Same thing with live view - the same issues arise.

And, just to be complete, it's not so much yyour download speed as it is yyour upload speed and latency that matters. You can use speedtest.net to check everything and even choose a remote city, such as Dublin, to test against.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's nothing wrong with the base or router. I have both of them and it works fine. For the amber connection LED on the router, that's because the base uses a 100Mbps connection. There's simply no need for faster since the base can only stream 5 cameras max at once. With a spike of about 1.5Mbps for each camera, that's 7.5Mbps total which will never swamp that 100Mbps connection. The Pro base also uses USB2.x for the USB drive connection for the same reason.

Slow notifications can be due to the use of Arlo Smart - do you subscribe to that? The video has to be uploaded to the server which processes it for Smart and then sends the notification. If you don't subscribe to Smart, push notifications should be nearly instantaneous while email notifications are only sent once the video has completely uploaded.  Of course, other things get in there, too, with any slowness in the Internet between your router and the servers adding delay. Be aware that most folks seem to use a server located in Ireland, regardless of where they live, so the distance and overall traffic to get to the servers and back can be significant. Same thing with live view - the same issues arise.

And, just to be complete, it's not so much yyour download speed as it is yyour upload speed and latency that matters. You can use speedtest.net to check everything and even choose a remote city, such as Dublin, to test against.

Tiellos
Aspirant
Aspirant
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation