Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Must Reboot base station to record video

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
KSP1138
Guide
Guide

Help. I've had my Arlo+Arlo Pro 2 three-camera system running since about May 10, 2018. It has performed without fault until three days ago. Woke up to see practically (or no) video from all three cameras. And there had definitely been movement (we have dogs that constantly trigger them). Scratched my head for some time, and finally though maybe my free subscription had filled up? Could not find any data to support this, but I deleted the past four days or so. That did not help. 

I tried removing and re-syncing the cameras. That was moderately successful, but the cameras would still only record part of the day, then quit and various times throughout the day. I'd get up the next morning to find nothing recorded for the new day. Nothing. I can, however, manually record at any time. 

I have not made any changes to the system. Have not messed with the sensitivity or anything. No firmware changes were made by me (running 1.125.8.0_19174). Have not changed subscription plans. 

The only thing I have discovered that works is to turn off the base station for about five minutes, then turn back on. All cameras immediately start working then. However, by the next morning, they stop recording again. I have not done a hard reset of the base station. 

Wifi connection is great, batteries fully charged, and sensitivity is great.  Any suggestions?  Thanks! CG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KSP1138
Guide
Guide

I must admit, very please with CS. I have been updating my trouble ticket as the days progressed, but never asked for a new unit. They have been paying attention! 

Latest update from NETGEAR Support:

Hi Chris,
Your case was narrowed down to what seems to be a hardware problem on the VMB4000 with Serial Number 4R058XXXB0B3F.

Your RMA request for Arlo PRO/PRO2 Wireless Base station(VMB4000) (4R058XXXB0B3F) has been approved by NETGEAR.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked to see if somehow it is on schedule ?

You may end up having to reset the base ( factory reset ) after removing the cameras ( remove device ) and then reclaim the base as if new setup with syncing cameras

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SuicideKing
Guide
Guide

Hello I just discovered this same issue last night but did not reboot base station. This morning I learned of an ongoing security issue then reset my password. My cameras are working properly now. I really hope it was not related. We need more information ARLO.

KSP1138
Guide
Guide

OK. I did a hard reset of the base station and even our modem/router just for good measure. Pulled all three cameras, dropped battery, and sat all three side-by-side and right next to the base. Resynced the three Arlo Pro 2 cameras, and reconnected the base. 

The base station is armed, set for motion/audio. There is a schedule of 8AM to 5PM (default?) but it is NOT active. (I even deleted it previously, but it didn't help). 

All three cameras recorded fine for about five hours. Then, one by one, they stopped. 0747PM, 0751PM, and 0821PM respectively (JUN 28). Woke up this morning and they are not recording at all. Nothing for JUN 29. 

If I click "LIVE", they show a live feed, but no recording.  Now, just now, I did a manual recording, and that was saved. Now, suddenly, all three cameras appear to be functioning again. I was going to do an OFF/ON cycle, but something I did by manually recording on one camera seems to have brought them back to life. I did a live view early this morning, but that did not change the functioning. 

Now they are working perfectly.... for now. 

Could it be a bad base station? 

Retired_Member
Not applicable
I have the same issue occurring. It’s incredibly frustrating to get an alert and then there is no video in my library. I get some of the videos saved but I don’t see any rhyme or reason to it. Rebooting the base station possibly helped but it has started failing again.
KSP1138
Guide
Guide

After getting them to mysteriously work again at about 0830AM this morning, two quit recording at 0932AM, the third at 1012AM. Plenty of movement. Guess I'm off to contact support...

CG

KSP1138
Guide
Guide

Made a call to Netgear-Arlo support. For some reason, live chat simply will not work here. I was escalated up to Level Two service. They called me back the next day and I spent two hours on the tele with 'Alfred'. He had me do pretty much everything I had already done. Delete all cameras and base station, reset Internet router, hard reset Arlo base station and then add camera back one at a time. 

The only new thing was Alfred had me create a new rule rather than use 'Armed'. This new rule was essentially the same as 'Armed'. Then we attached each camera to the new rule. 

Cameras are still functioning (it's been three hours and this morning they only worked for about two after power on/off sequence). We shall see. I am not optimistic this will help, but he was kind enough to provide me a number to call back if it does not work. I have to give kudos to their support thus far. Although I could not understand much of what the first tech was saying due to dialect differences, Alfred was very pleasing to talk to. Very helpful, even if it doesn't work to solve my issue. 

Stay tuned...

Millsjq
Star
Star

I have had similar issues since last week.  System worked without issue previously.  I believed it started with push of the base station software last week. Note: I will we were given the option to not upgrade version, I would rather wait if not correcting issue effecting me, as the the fixes seem to break more than they fix!

Anyway, I started having issues, one camera would not pick up movment, the other not at night. Then I noticed the my armed mode only have one of my previous three cameras listed. No way to edit (not sure why this is the case) the only solution that I could find was hard reset and get the ladder pull cameras down, reset, put back up, etc.  This solved my issues for a day and onehalf, camers were flaky again, and sure enough the armed mode now had only two cameras in it.  I have built my own mode and ditiched the out of box armed mode as apparenlty arlo keeps screwing it up. Two month user of the Arlo Pro 2, I impressed with the Camera's capability less so with the software.  I.E. If I want to change the sensitivity in the Mode, It will not save on the iOS app (two different devices) but work fine on the web version. 

SuicideKing
Guide
Guide

Ok so I'm having this issue again. I posted earlier that I reset password and everything worked fine well it did for a time. now I'm back to where I was. I currently have one out of three cameras that give a notification of activity but doesn't log it in the library. Please roll back the update until bugs are fixed this is ridiculous. I'm starting to wish I had invested in a different company. 

KSP1138
Guide
Guide

My two-hours with tech support was for naught. Two days later, and two days of the same symptoms. Cameras work fine after an ON/OFF cycle, then drop out during the day. They are connected to the router because I can live view or manually record, but the "running man" never shows orange motion. Then, like this morning, two stopped recording motion/audio after less than an hour. Interestingly the third is still going seven hours later. ALL have been subject to motion activity. 

I was never notified of a software upgrade. S0 it does this without notification?

I went ahead and ordered a new base station from Amazon to see if that helps. Will just send the other one back DOA or something. I just don't feel like fooling with support right now. May demand my $700 back if this isn't resolved!

KSP1138
Guide
Guide

I must admit, very please with CS. I have been updating my trouble ticket as the days progressed, but never asked for a new unit. They have been paying attention! 

Latest update from NETGEAR Support:

Hi Chris,
Your case was narrowed down to what seems to be a hardware problem on the VMB4000 with Serial Number 4R058XXXB0B3F.

Your RMA request for Arlo PRO/PRO2 Wireless Base station(VMB4000) (4R058XXXB0B3F) has been approved by NETGEAR.

KSP1138
Guide
Guide

NOT solved. Bought a brand new base station, at my expense, and after setting it up, it's doing the same GD thing. What a joke. 

KSP1138
Guide
Guide

UPDATE:

Wanted to post an update to my case. Instead of sending back my original base station via RMA, I returned it to where it was purchased from and obtained a new one. The same problem persisted.

Cameras would work fine for about five hours, then quit recording video. The manual record works 100%, as does live feed, so the cameras are attached to the system. Rebooting solves the problem, for another few hours or so.

However, I decided to try an attach a USB drive to the base station in order to record both locally and to the cloud. For three days and counting, this solved my issue. The system has performed flawlessly as it used to. I can still access what I think are cloud-based videos via the smartphone app. Or, and I only recording locally and somehow able to view the local videos via the app? I am afraid to touch anything at this point until more days elapse to monitor the system.

Our internet connection speeds have been and continue to be in the 30U/15DMbps range. I do not believe an internet connectivity issue is to blame. I am curious to hear your thoughts. I don't know why adding a USB drive has (for the time being) solved my issue.... CG

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation