Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection too sensitive

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
glblackjeep
Aspirant
Aspirant

My front camera detects every car that passes my home so consequently I receive alerts for "motion detection" on that camera every 5 minutes or less, depending. I am not too sure what I can do. I tried turning down motion, audio to no avail. I love the system and it has given me peace of mind, but this constant motion alerts is driving me a little crazy. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Folks have a tendency to try to have the camera aimed too high. Do you really need to see the cars on the street (or even airplanes)? Rotate the camera down to eliminate them from the camera view and concentrate only on the area that your really need covered.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Folks have a tendency to try to have the camera aimed too high. Do you really need to see the cars on the street (or even airplanes)? Rotate the camera down to eliminate them from the camera view and concentrate only on the area that your really need covered.

glblackjeep
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you and I thought so since this did not begin happening until after I recharged my battery and placed it back in position.  I will adjust when I return home.

On another note, what are the 1) Motion Detection Test for? (I presently have mine on low but from what you just mentioned, this has nothing to do with it; 2) Audio Settings? (my speakr and microphone are both on but unsure as to what speaker volume does).

You can tell new users, we ask the most basic almost common questions (forgive me and thank you for response)

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

1) is for setting up the camera to get an idea where the cameras "sees" people.

it has nothing to do with sense level to trigger a recording ( that setting is in the mode you arm with )

2) speaker is how loud it is at the camera location from you and mic is how much it can pick up

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MiroYan
Initiate
Initiate

jguerdat, thank you for this advice.  I have a similar problem with cameras facing the driveway and road.  I need to keep in view a car parked on the driveway.  If I aim the cameras lower, to crop the street at top of view, I also crop the view of top of the car and heads of any people approaching the car.

Additionally, the cameras do not react to people slowly walking on the sidewalk or approaching the parked car, but reacts only to dark vehicles driving on the road.  I adjusted the sensitivity to 30% and still have the issue of triggering by large, dark vehicles.  At that sensitivity, the cameras fail to trigger on the very activity I am trying to prevent.

Arlo descriptions promised advanced post-processing/filtering that detects only human activity.  Is that feature available with the standard (free) subscription?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Slow walking people will always be an issue, especially as the distance increases. Vehicles tend to either generate a lot of heat (hence, IR) and/or reflect it from the sun. Best positioning may require a whole different location and/or creative mounting (folks have used birdhouses and even holes in fence posts).

Post screenshots for suggestions.

prowindo
Tutor
Tutor

I have the same issue with one of three installed cameras.  One camera has sent me 90 notifications in an eight hour period!!  It is picking up a flag waving in the wind (I'm guessing!) every few minutes.  I have the sansiitivity  set to ZERO!  On any day that a slight breeze is blowing, I am forced to turn that camera off.  Defeats the purpose of having the Arlo Camera.   I am not removing my American flag, and need the camera aimed in the general direction of the flag.  Any suggestions before I look to anothr product?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I see there was a response in another post to this issue. Multiple posts just confuse the issue.

Repositioning the camera to eliminate the flag should help and/or turning the sensitivity down in your modes and rules for the period of time when the sun's IR is causing the issue should help. Have multiple modes so you can use the schedule to automatically switch between high and reduced sensitivity modes.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation