Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detected alerts but no video recordings

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
godzima_arlo
Guide
Guide

Arlo Pro 2 Base - Model-VMB4000r3, Firmware - 1.10.0.9_23037

Arlo Pro 2 Camera - Model-H3, Firmware - 1.125.11.1_25366

For the past couple of months, my Arlo system is not recording video sporadically although it detects motion and sends me alerts on the Arlo app. After a long chat with Netgear support they replaced the Base station under warranty and for a few weeks the issue was fixed. However since the last 3 weeks or so tha issue has reappeared and I am back to getting motion detection alerts but no video recordings. Spent a couple of hours over a couple of days with Netgear but no resolutions so far.

Steps they had me try out:

1. Reset the base station and resync the cameras - System starts working as expected but after a few hours the issue reappears
  2. Changed the modes from Record till activity stops to Record only for fixed time (changed from 30 secs to 10 secs) - Again system returns to working as expected and stops recording video and sends only motion detected alerts after awhile
  3. Had me check my internet speed connected to router to which arlo base station is connected - Download speed 96Mbps and Upload speed- 25Mbps. Support seemed satisfied with these numbers
  4. Changed the LAN port to which Arlo is connected and rebooted - Again system works for sometime as expected and reverts to being non-functional.

I am at my wits end and so far support has not been helpful other than suggesting that I repeat the same steps over and over again. MADNESS!!!!

Can someone who's had a similar issue that was successfully resolved please help????!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
godzima_arlo
Guide
Guide
I think that I may have found a solution. I swapped the Netgear router to which the arlo base station was connected to for a TP link multi port switch. Don't think the base station connected to switch instead of router makes a difference but the router was probably going bad or misconfigured. Anyways my arlo system is back to being operational as expected and detecting motion and recording videos which shows up pretty instantly in the library. For folks who might run into this sort of problem in the future, swapping the router or switch the base station is connected to is worth giving a shot.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
brh
Master
Master

@godzima_arlo

How many cameras are connected to your base? If only one, then what is the signal strength for that camera showing in the app?

If more than one camera is it only showing on one camera?

I suspect the camera rather than the base. 

Brian

godzima_arlo
Guide
Guide

@brh I've got two cameras connected to the base unit. The issue with motion detection alerts and no recorded videos happen on both cameras. One of the cams show 2 signal bars while the other shows 1 bar. I was thinking cam too but when the issue started on both cams I started leaning to a base station issue which Netgear support also agreed to and send me a replacement. But after all that I'm still on square one. The weird part is the placement of my cams nor the base station has changed since I installed the system 10 months ago and things were functioning great till a month or so ago so I'm not sure if it an issue with the cam to base unit connection.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Does this problem happen both using the app (IOS or Android?) as well as using the browser https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login

godzima_arlo
Guide
Guide

@Streak2...Yep 2 of my Android phones and my wife's Android phone running the Arlo app will show the alerts. When I login to the app on any of the phones, nothing is shown in the library (even after waiting for a couple of hours). I then tried logging into the Arlo website on my laptop. again nothing !!!

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I know you have reset the base and resync'd but try and reset each camera by removing and refitting the battery.

Also, try and create some distance between the base and the router to which it is attached. Move it higher, lower or us a longer Ethernet cable to move it further away even just temporarily.

There have been cases before of the base being interfered with by signals from the router.

brh
Master
Master

@godzima_arlo

What happens if you view live and make a recording from there? Does it show up in your library?

Brian

godzima_arlo
Guide
Guide

@brh..yes a manual recording that I make from either one of my cams shows up instantly in the Arlo library

godzima_arlo
Guide
Guide
I think that I may have found a solution. I swapped the Netgear router to which the arlo base station was connected to for a TP link multi port switch. Don't think the base station connected to switch instead of router makes a difference but the router was probably going bad or misconfigured. Anyways my arlo system is back to being operational as expected and detecting motion and recording videos which shows up pretty instantly in the library. For folks who might run into this sort of problem in the future, swapping the router or switch the base station is connected to is worth giving a shot.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation