Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion Detector Very Slow At Detecting Motion Arlo Pro 2

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
DalesArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 3 camera set up...watched the videos, read the forums. Some people have the same issue as me but the answers don't really explain if the issue was resolved for them, as I have tried their advice, didn't work for me...hence asking again. 

I have 2 cameras working great, side of house and back of house.

My front camera is set up as per it should be, it sits on the house 2 metres off the ground, 45 degree angle down. My gate is 8 metres away to the front door and Arlo can see from the gate to top of the front steps. I get the sideways detection so I have moved it along to detect sideways movement too, still have the problem.

Problem: Motion isn't being detected until a person is coming up the stairs and I see a slither of their shirt. Same with them leaving, I see them at the gate. I've tried sensitivity from 1 to 100. The base station isn't that far away, good signal...just never starts recording in time.

Any other options that I can do so it starts recording faster? Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Running AC power to that camera should help (as that would enable the 3-second lookback buffer).  https://kb.arlo.com/000062053/How-does-the-Look-Back-feature-work-on-my-Arlo-camera

Though that can be difficult to do in many cases, it might be worth running a cable as a test.

DalesArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. I guess we got the Wireless hoping it would be able to record.
I understand there would be a delay but not enough that someone could walk past for 8 metres and not be seen. We're not able to run a cable unfortunately. Any other options you feel?
Thanks for helping.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DalesArlo wrote:

We're not able to run a cable unfortunately. Any other options you feel?

Maybe run the motion detection test, to get a sense of when the PIR sensor is triggering.

DalesArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

ok, I'll work out how to do that and see if it makes a difference, thank you.

Laz19
Aspirant
Aspirant
Increase the sensitivity Max in that case.
DalesArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks, yep I have that up to 100. Problem I have then is it alerts quite a lot over the day, when I review the camera footage...there is nothing 100% of the time. Not sure what sets it off but there aren't any trees.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DalesArlo wrote:

ok, I'll work out how to do that and see if it makes a difference, thank you.

https://kb.arlo.com/1114344/How-do-I-use-the-motion-detection-test-for-my-Arlo-device

After you find the sensitivity that works best, you need to also set it in the rules in the modes.  The threshold in the test is only for testing.

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation