Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Looking to Buy

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AKLGUY
Guide
Guide

I am currently looking at some home security solutions

I have recently also upgraded my WIFI network at home to the Orbi RBK50

Do you need the base station for Arlo Pro 2 camera's to work? Or can they work by talking straight to the Orbi?

What is the advantage of the Arlo base station if I get the back with multiple cameras?

2 Locations, where I want a camera, are based indoors. Is there any reason why the Arlo Q will not do that job? 

From New Zealand, 950/450MB Fibre connection, RN316 NAS, Orbi RBK50
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master
No. The base with local storage option only works with the Pro cameras syncd to that base. The Q works directly with your wifi signal. You could mix and match. Base connected to Orbi running Pro 2 cameras and a Q on wifi.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Yes, the Arlo Pro/Pro 2  does need a base. The base gets attached to your router via ethernet cable and then sets up it's own wireless network with the cameras. The base has the siren built into it as well as USB ports for external storage.

If you will be using the cameras powered and indoors then the Arlo Q will work just fine.

AKLGUY
Guide
Guide

So can I plug the Base station in back of the Orbi Router (Or Satelitte) and then plug the 2 Arlo Qs into the same wired network to use the USB Local recording on the Pro 2 Base station?

Streak2
Master Master
Master
No. The base with local storage option only works with the Pro cameras syncd to that base. The Q works directly with your wifi signal. You could mix and match. Base connected to Orbi running Pro 2 cameras and a Q on wifi.
AKLGUY
Guide
Guide

@Streak2 wrote:

So there is no way to record locally the Q camera's?

Or is the (free) cloud recording ok for a total of 5 cameras

Streak2
Master Master
Master
The Q plus takes an SD card. The Q does not.
Yes you would use the free 7 day cloud storage for up to 5 cameras. Any recording you want to keep you just download.
AKLGUY
Guide
Guide

Next question is for the Solar Panel chargers for the Pro 2's do they work well? (if you have direct sunlight etc)

Streak2
Master Master
Master

My solar panel works great and I don't even have it angled to the sun.

I have it lying flat on its back on the wooden slats covering the patio. The camera it is attached to stays at 100% charge.

AKLGUY
Guide
Guide

@Streak2 wrote:

My solar panel works great and I don't even have it angled to the sun.

I have it lying flat on its back on the wooden slats covering the patio. The camera it is attached to stays at 100% charge.

Thanks do you have it just motion activation or continuous video?

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Only motion detection. For CVR the Pro 2 would need to be plugged into the AC adapter and you would need to subscribe to CVR.

AKLGUY
Guide
Guide

One last question and thank you for all your help.

You can do a quick live view right? Say for 1-2 minutes?

Say you have a Camera in the (detached) garage looking at the door, and your in your living room and you can not remember putting the door down. Can you then use your phone/appletv to check the live feed of one camera, save getting up and going to the garage outside? (expecially in middle of winter)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. Live view is available at any time. The only thing to know is that a recording will be interrupted if you start live viewing. You can manually record if needed.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation