Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Long Delay After Motion Detection

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ArloUser356
Aspirant
Aspirant

It can take up to two minutes from the time of a motion alert until the video that triggered the alert can be viewed. Two minutes is a very long time to figure out why the alarm was triggered. It appears that the video has to be uploaded to Arlo's servers, processed, and then downloaded back to the Arlo app. Why is this done? Wouldn't it be so much simpler and more efficient to store the alert video locally, and show it immediately?

4 REPLIES 4
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @ArloUser356

If you would like to record locally, I have provided the following article with further information. How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

ArloUser356
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, but that does not solve the problem at all. To view a video recorded locally, you have to remove the USB drive, insert it into a computer, and view the video from your computer.

My point was that when you get a motion alert, it can take as long as two minutes to view the corresponding video and see what triggered the alert. Having to eject the USB drive from the Arlo base, take it out, connect it to a computer, and view the video would take even longer.

We should be able to access the locally recorded video from the Arlo app. That way, you can immediately see what triggered the alert, and respond accordingly.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@ArloUser356 wrote:

Thank you, but that does not solve the problem at all. To view a video recorded locally, you have to remove the USB drive, insert it into a computer, and view the video from your computer. 

You can view the local recording through the app in the library. Just not on the web page. 

PShay
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having kinda the same issue. Once I get a notification as a result of the sensor being triggered  I open the app and tap to go live and 9 out of 10 times it won’t connect. Any other time I have no problem connecting live... kinda sucks because the point of having the live option is to see in real time if there is a security threat. The whole point of a security camera right?  Also there is the issue of using the speaker. If nothing is triggering the sensor I can connect to the speaker no prob. But the time I need it is when someone is standing in front of it not when no one is there. It takes a min or more to connect ( If it connects ) and while connecting it almost mutes any response... so I have to disconnect from speaker to hear a response... Is this how it is supposed to be?  Iv had tech guys come and check my 1 gig internet setup with extenders. My wireless signal and speed is as good as it gets. So the issue is something else that interferes with connecting live to cam and speaker while motion is being triggered. Maybe the Arlo pro 2 cam or hub can’t handle recording and Logging an event while also being accessed for live cam and speaker? Iv tried different settings and Restart. Reboot. Everything works fine. Just can’t access or use the live capabilities when motion sensor is triggered ( most ) of the time and then when I finally do get in its after 2-5 mins of tapping the play icon to go live. It’s pretty aggravating.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation