Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Leaving Battery inserted while connected to permanent power - good practice?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

Hi All 

I've found a few posts about this but cannot reply (as they've been resolved) and also can't see people having the same issue as me so I thought I'd just ask the question. 

I have a camera which has CVR and (for now at least) its working well and they've resolved the timesync issue with motion detections. 

Anyway, Is it a good idea to keep the battery inserted while connected to CVR? 

Basically, I find that if I leave the battery inserted the camera works well for about 3-4 days and then goes offline completely. It did it the other day at 9pm and I was without a camera for the whole night until I noticed the next day. (annoying that we don't get notifications of cameras going offline too- but thats another story!). 

I remove the battery, all works perfectly 24/7. I tried it again just to confirm my theory and 4 days later the camera was offline again.

I'm using the supplied USB cable and charger, nothing 3rd party. 

I guess I'm just worried that I've got duff units/batteries. If I use the same battery in another camera I've got it works faultlessly. 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It doesn't make any diff if the battery is left in the camera or not while always on ac.... the battery will not overcharge.

But if you finding for some reason the camera drops off line when you leave it in, there's no issue to pulling the battery and just running on ac either.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the quick response. 

I thought as much. I was just concerned that it goes offline with the Battery inserted while powered. I'm guessing I'm the only one with the issue. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It does seem abnormal that it ( cam ) would go offline with the battery installed...

You may be able to narrow it down if you have more than one camera.

Swap the troubled camera ( location ) with a good one, see if that changes anything.

Swap the battery with another unit and see if that does anything to BOTH cameras ( think you mentioned you tried another battery )

If it's the battery, the issue would follow the battery, if the camera , the issue would follow the camera or continue even in the new location/battery

Then you could contact Netgear will valid info to support a claim for warranty

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation