Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
Really tired of app updates that keep breaking things or taking away useful features. Latest version released on 12/21 (thanks for the "present") - release 2.12.1_27005:

1. Breaks filtered videos when viewing full screen. The list will be correct, but then when swiping through to review, videos that are supposed to be filtered out from ALL the other cameras show (as if you never setup the free or it disappeared.

2. The date of the video has now been taken away on the pop-up display when in full screen. This was a feature I used all the time and it being missing is severely annoying. We're dealing with security video here, being able to quickly know when an event happened seems like a sensible requirement. Making it harder to get that information (having to exit the full screen view) seems counter intuitive.
76 REPLIES 76
SkySrfr
Guide
Guide
I was about to post the exact same issue with a very similar screenshot. I just recently referred multiple people to Arlo, but after the number of bugs coming up recently, it's hard not to regret that... Hopefully the dev team starts fixing bugs pretty soon, instead of adding more
dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
No, you can't! It's broken in the last 2 updates now!
dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
...and 2.12.3....
dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice
I thoroughly regret all recommendations at this point and my not insignificant investment.
jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just do what I did and roll back to an earlier version where the filters still worked.
I'm using v2.7.15 from 09/03/2019

The Arlo apps have always had issues, some big and some small, but these last couple of months have been horrendous.
The number of recurring problems has increased tenfold, even to the point where old, previously fixed issues are returning.
My thumbnails are mostly dark again, having been fixed in an earlier version - this comes from sampling the first frame, before the infrared kicks in, instead of sampling a frame further into the video. Just the fact that this particular problem has returned almost makes it appear intentional.
As I stated earlier, Arlo's new systems all require a subscription where the older systems (Arlo Pro & Pro 2) do not.
Are these folks trying to force people to abandon their old "free" equipment? Because this is certainly one way to do it.

Add to that the new problems;
- If you're trying to watch videos and clicking on the Forward and Back arrows to see others, after just a few the screen will freeze and it remain blank with a "Loading" message, but the video won't load.
- The Forward and Back arrows only work about 50% of the time now. Are these two problems related?
- Video recording starts much later than it used to. I get up every morning now and see clip after clip with nothing in them. Whatever was there left the field of view before recording began.
- I have 5 cameras. I use most of my cameras for wildlife, namely cat feeders and shelters, as I'm a local caretaker of strays.
All the cameras used to record on their own regardless of whether or not there was another camera recording at the same time. Now, it appears that only one camera can record at a time. If there are two things happening at once in two different locations, I'm now going to miss one of them.
- Camera sensitivity now seems to be a thing of the past. Oftentimes I'll see a clip of a cat approaching a feeder, but there won't be a clip of him leaving, or vice versa. This never happened before but now it happens constantly. Trying to watch videos in chronological order now seems to make no sense. There are so many "holes" in the activity that's it's hard to piece together what you're seeing.
- If your session times out, there are now TWO login screens instead of one. Seriously, what is up with that?
- On the Devices screen, each camera thumbnail has a small indicator in the lower left corner, telling you how long ago the last recording was (eg; "38m ago"). These indicators now randomly vanish for no reason.
ALL of these problems have been introduced or RE-introduced in just the last few months.
This degree of incompetence can't be accidental.

alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jam436 , how did you roll back to v2.7.15?  The only version I find on the Play Store is v2.12.3_27015 (1/7/20) and the filter is still broken.

I share your frustrations with the software/firmware developers.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alchemist50 wrote:

@jam436 , how did you roll back to v2.7.15? 

The only way is to side-load, and not use the play store.  

jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

Google Play store has an app I've used for years for just such occasions:
App Back & Restore - it will keep old versions every time an upgrade comes through, automatically.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.usage.appbackup&hl=en_US

If you don't have an app like that, legacy versions are still readily available:
https://apkpure.com/arlo-legacy/com.netgear.android
https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=Arlo

dfjkl
Apprentice
Apprentice

Some of us are paying Arlo Pro/2 customers who are seeing all the same you are. I was wondering if I was going crazy as I was suddenly seeing a person on another camera that literally just walked in front of the prior camera, but no video to show for it. So mad about how crappy they support this product now considering how damn expensive it is. It's inexcusable.

jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

..and if you look through the Arlo Pro 3 and higher threads, you won't see these problems.
This recent -explosion- of problems seems to be limited only to the older Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 systems, you know, the only systems left that offer a week's worth of free cloud storage for up to 5 cameras.
Starting with the Arlo Pro 3 systems, a paid subscription is now necessary.

Apparently since breaking off from Netgear in Jan. 2019, the new managers have decided to squeeze owners of these older systems out - by intentionally sabotaging their own systems.
There seems to be no other explanation for this sudden deluge of issues, all cropping up in just the last couple of months, many of which are rendering these systems nearly unusable. Is this by design? I believe it is.
The new owners no longer wish to honor the original free subscription agreement written by Netgear.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jam436 wrote:

This recent -explosion- of problems seems to be limited only to the older Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 systems, you know, the only systems left that offer a week's worth of free cloud storage for up to 5 cameras.

The new owners no longer wish to honor the original free subscription agreement written by Netgear.

FWIW, it is a publicly owned company, so the owners are the stockholders.  I have no idea want the managers wish, but it is clear that they have kept the free subscription for folks who purchased (and are still purchasing) the older systems. 

Personally I don't think the "explosion of problems" is intentionally targetting any specific model.  I think the number of posts reflects the installed base, and there are a lot more folks who have Pro and Pro2 systems than there are folks with the newer Ultra and Pro3 cameras.  And that leads to more posts related to those older systems.  But I am not a conspiracy theorist person.

PNelson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jam436,

Thank you for this information.  I thought a new version might resolve some minor issues I have been having with the App on Android, but the latest version is awful.  Not only does the filter not work, Arlo removed the Manage Camera Status option which I use to manage five of my six cameras are active.  I was able to install version 2.11.2 released on Dec 02, 2019, which seems to work.   I will use that app to keep this as a back-up version in case any new Arlo version do not work.  Arlo also removed the Manage Camera Status from Iphone & Ipad versions.

Arlo needs to offer beta version for the Arlo fan techies to test, and only after successful testing release it as a supported version.  

I noticed they are really trying to push the subscription service.    If you use the webpage version, the Manage Camera Status option is no longer on the setting menu, but is buried at the bottom of the subscription option.   I already regret buying Arlo and their disappointing customer service I am not very interesting in paying a monthly fee.

Paul

PNelson
Apprentice
Apprentice

I  forgot to copy what Jam436 provided in an earlier post.

@jam436 wrote:

Google Play store has an app I've used for years for just such occasions:
App Back & Restore - it will keep old versions every time an upgrade comes through, automatically.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.usage.appbackup&hl=en_US

If you don't have an app like that, legacy versions are still readily available:
https://apkpure.com/arlo-legacy/com.netgear.android
https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=Arlo

Paul

alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks everyone for the instructions on rolling back to a previous version.  I went back to v2.11.1_26070 (11/22/19) and it works perfectly.  Plus, I now can see the time/date stamp again on the full screen video views.  It just works like it should.

jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

FWIW, I inched my way back up to v2.12.0.26090 - that seems to be the last update without the broken filters.
I also had to turn off AutoUpdate in the Google Play Store.
I forgot the first time and the next morning I was back up to 2.12.3 and broken filters again.

Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do you roll back?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Doxiedoglover wrote:
How do you roll back?

The only way is to find an old version and side-load it (not using the play store).

There is of course some risk that the old version had malware added, so if you try this you should look into the reputation of the site you download the old version from. 

jam436
Apprentice
Apprentice

Most apps would require you to uninstall the newer version first, then install the older one.
But this Arlo app is so poorly written (just another example) it will allow you to install an old version over a newer one.
I've never seen that before.

Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do I view on web portal as mentioned? I on only know how to view on my Android. TIA!
alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

In your browser, navigate to https://my.arlo.com

You'll need to enter your email and Arlo password on the second login page.

Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello! I have tried and these are the pages I get and neither lets me view cameras? Can you screen shot what your steps are that work? Much appreciated!
alchemist50
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't have a paid subscription plan, just the free basic one.  I never see the screens you show, so I'm not sure how to get past them.  Maybe someone with a paid plan can help?

PNelson
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jam436 wrote:

FWIW, I inched my way back up to v2.12.0.26090 - that seems to be the last update without the broken filters.
I also had to turn off AutoUpdate in the Google Play Store.
I forgot the first time and the next morning I was back up to 2.12.3 and broken filters again.

I am using v2.12.2_26080 from Dec 2, 2019, and the filters seem to work fine.

Is there a log file of the changes that are made with each version?

For those trying to role back to an earlier version.  You should uninstall the Arlo app.  Then download an older version from a site that stores older versions.  I used the website that was provided in an earlier post.  (Alert! There is a risk that a non Playstore website may have corrupted files with malware.)  After down loading file, you will then need to install the Arlo app.   I got a warning about installing an app that was not from Playstore.    This is the first time I have had to do this, so I am going from memory on the steps involved.  Good luck and realize there is some risk involved.

Doxiedoglover
Apprentice
Apprentice
Got! Downloaded v2.12.2_26080 from Apppurse and now all is well.
Benlegg
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi
I am getting notifications through and when I check my app its showing that there are recordings, but the videos arent showing for the specific camera that picked up the movement. The other camera videos are all there but o this specific one.
Have deleted app, reinstalled etc etc.
So get the notification, on the app it shows recordings but the camera and recordings are it visible.
Any help really appreciated as I am out of the country and not sure what's happening.
Discussion stats