Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Issue with Battery Life and Video Recording Settings

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ZeinM
Follower
Follower
I recently bought four Arlo Pro 2 cameras and distributed them in different rooms inside my home. The battery life is disappointingly low. I’m required to recharge the batteries every week, despite reading online before buying the cameras that battery life is 3-4 months. One camera was not set to record videos and the battery was fully charged for days, once I changed the settings to record videos upon detecting motion, it lasted one week only, so I figured out that the problem is with the video recording option as it seems this substantially eats up the battery life. When I choose the option to record for only 10 seconds upon detecting motion, I get a long list of short videos in the library (for example: at 11:00am for 10 seconds, another one at 11:00am for 10 seconds, a third one at 11:00am for 10 seconds then one at 11:01am for 10 seconds). Choosing the option of recording until motion stops eats up even more battery life. How can I record motion reasonably without eating up battery life?
1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The first thing that will suck batteries dry is recording... Spec usage is about =< 5 mins per day.

Second thing is interfernce or bad signal to camera.

As to actual use, my Pro/Pro2 batteries last in the range of 2-3 months with usage in side of spec. They will last a bit more if charged in the charging tube compared to the camera itself.

I find that "record till motion stops" causing many times to stop the recording to quickly so recommend a "fixed" time. For me the record time wors out to 20-30 secs per camera depending where placement is. Also you will have to fine tune your placement AND sense levels so you get the camera triggered for a person but NOT a lot of false trigger events.

Tip, I add the date to the camera name at end so I can keep accurate usage on batteries .

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation