Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Moxilla
Tutor
Tutor

New to using an Arlo system, and the first time I needed to change a depleted battery for a charged one, I turned off the device in Device Settings and swapped the batteries. But when I tried to turn the device back on, it said battery needed changing. Tried another battery and it was okay. (Hope that battery isn't bad. Will test later on another camera.)

I checked the manual for this issue. My question is should I turn the camera off  in the device settings on the app before I swap out the battery?  If not, can someone tell me the correct procedure?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Moxilla wrote:

My question is should I turn the camera off  in the device settings on the app before I swap out the battery? 

I don't.

I simply remove the battery from one camera and move it to another one. This has never caused anything more than a temporary disconnection.

I do this because I have a couple of batteries on mains power and some on battery only. When the "battery only" cameras send me a power warning, I take a battery out of a mains camera and swap it with a batteried camera.

This has been my strategy for a year or so with Pro 2, Ultra and Pro 3 cameras. No sign of damage so far.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Moxilla wrote:

My question is should I turn the camera off  in the device settings on the app before I swap out the battery? 

I don't.

I simply remove the battery from one camera and move it to another one. This has never caused anything more than a temporary disconnection.

I do this because I have a couple of batteries on mains power and some on battery only. When the "battery only" cameras send me a power warning, I take a battery out of a mains camera and swap it with a batteried camera.

This has been my strategy for a year or so with Pro 2, Ultra and Pro 3 cameras. No sign of damage so far.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Agree... just swap the battery and the camera should auto-resync

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Rob-A
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree - I do not disable the cameras before changing the batteries and have had no issues.

Moxilla
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I think I may have pressed the sync button after installing a fresh battery the first time, which I now realize was not necessary, since the camera was already synced. That probably confused the camera.

Camera and both batteries are working fine.

Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation