Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is there a bug in the Arlo Base Station VMB4500 when re-powering?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Reading through some of these discssion forums, I see that my Arlo Pro 2 system should restart one power has been restored after a power cut.

Having unplugged my Arlo hub to move it into another room (and plugging it back in!) I've  had to reset the whole system to get it to work again, and now I asking myself if this is a problem with the hub requiring me to go through the whole setup process everytime I get a power cut.  I'm not in a position to buy a UPS on top of having just bought this!

Also (as I've had to reset it several times in the last couple of days), why does the hub check for a firmware update for the hub whenever I add a camera?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Dannybear
Master
Master
Out of interest, how far away was the base station from the wifi modem before the move.

I power cycle my base twice daily and it returns ok. This is on two VMB4000 bases so not exactly the same but close.

Regards the cameras needing to check base firmware when adding, agree this could be better coded to skip after an initial check.

Did you try just resyncing the camera’s to the base station using the base sync button? Assuming you’re model of base has one.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
Hi,

There is no real difference between the router and hub, but I’m not WiFi that’s relevant as the hub is hard-wired - unless one wireless network could affect the other?
The broadband router is downstairs and the hub upstairs.
When you say “power cycle” does that mean you switch it off and back on again? How long after that does it take for the system to be fully operational?
Maybe I’m being impatient in my ignorance and I need to give it a bit more time?
I was rather hoping I wouldn’t need to reset anything after a power failure - deliberately or otherwise.

Thanks
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

When you say “power cycle” does that mean you switch it off and back on again? How long after that does it take for the system to be fully operational?

It should come back up in a minute or two.

As far as the UPS goes, it could still be a good idea if you also have a UPS on your router (to maintain the internet connection).  That would keep the system operational through a reasonably short power failure.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hmm, I see the logic, but both devices are on different floors, so I'd need 2!

I'm reluctant to 'give it a go' to see if it does come back, but I've still to decide where the cameras will be located, so who knows where the hub will need to be!

Thanks

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation