Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is the Arlo Essential basically a updated Arlo Q/Pro 2 with the new design language

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

So i was thinking bout the Arlo Essential and from what i can tell is it looks like a similar spec replacement for the Arlo Q and the Arlo Pro 2 to bring them into the new design language and subscription base. It will be interesting to see if the the Arlo Pro 2's and Arlo Q's become harder to find in the near future once it launches.

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Def not a Q ( pixel detection ) ... but a low end Pro3 to keep up with the new style.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/arlo-delivers-most-affordable-security-camera-ever/?itm_source=23...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary
I don't see anything in that article that indicates it isn't using pixel motion detection when continuously powered. I also dont believe the Pro 2 or 3 depend on PIR when continuously powered either.

The new arlo essentials specs match pretty much everything the Pro 2 and Arlo Q have. Being able to use wifi by itself, or a base station it can replace both the Q as a self sufficient camera, or the Pro 2 as a base connected device.

If it has the option to do both pir when on battery and pixel detection when powered it could replace both the Q and the Pro 2 and even add a few tricks in the process.

It would also be a way to push users on subscriptions and off the grandfathered 7 day cloud storage going forward with new cameras if the q and pro 2 go away and it was the only lower camera avaliable.
MrBill16
Tutor
Tutor

Just ordered the Wyze outdoor and will be moving to their cameras.  I have 2 Pro 2 and a base-station for sale.

Mavrrick
Luminary
Luminary

I totally get what you are saying. I recently received a Eufy 2k Indoor Cam and a Eufy 2k Indoor pan and Tilt. To put it simply in many ways they blows away the Arlo cameras for indoor use atleast. 

Think of about it like this. There is a integrated AI in the hardware which you get enhanced notification included with the camera. The cameras have a Micro SD card that you can put a 128GB card in that can allow CVR for free with the camera, but can also do motion activated. While doing CVR to the Micro SD card they can do a RTSP stream to a external NAS or server like MotionEYE os or Blue Iris. The RTSP option allows you to have access at any time using your own hardware. The option they give you to browse the CVR isn't the best but still better then what Arlo offers for their CVR. All of that for 39$ and 49$ respectively.

With Arlo you spend 3 times as much, have to use a subscription for cloud storage and smart notifications, that add up per camera. but starts at 2.99 per camera. If you want CVR will be 9.99 per camera. NO smart notifications. No options for local access unless it is connected to a pro 3 base station. This is also with a lower resolution camera.

The only pros to the Arlo pro essential camera has is the Spotlight with color night vision and waterproof for outside use with a battery. 

My problem is I do like Arlo but the cost difference is just killing me. without going to the Pro 3 or Ultra though i don't see how Arlo makes any sense considering there are such good options out there with features that Arlo seems afraid to include as it would impact there ability to push subscription services. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation