Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is it possible to change the Arlo Base Station Subnet?

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
scottgunshell
Aspirant
Aspirant

I know that the Arlo BaseStation setups it's own WiFi network but I think it is assigning the Arlo Cameras IP addresses on the same subnet as my Home WiFi system and because of this is causing problems with my home Router (causing reboots among other things).

Is it possible to control what Subnet that the Arlo Base Station creates the I/P addresses on so that I can ensure that it creates a subnet that differs from my home router so that it doesn't confuse my routers?

10 REPLIES 10
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not to my knowledge as you have no access into the base unit.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@scottgunshell wrote:

I think it is assigning the Arlo Cameras IP addresses on the same subnet as my Home WiFi system

The base station has an IP address on your home network, but the cameras do not.

The router stability problem you are having must have a different cause.

Does the problem disappear if you remove the batteries from the cameras (but leave the base station running)?  

scottgunshell
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, although I do have one camera that has a dead battery that needs to be charged and am wondering if that could be a factor (i.e. the Base Station is repeatedly trying to assign an address to the camera with a dead battery but can't which confuses my home router system.)

I currently have the Arlo disconnected to confirm that it is the device that is causing the problems on my network.

I wasn't having problems for a portion of a day when it was disconnected but want to confirm that the problem is in fact caused by the Arlo Base Station not something else on my network.

I understand that the Base Station is part of the same subnet as the rest of my home but that the Arlo will create a different subnet then the rest of my home.

Do you know if there is a way to confirm what subnet the Arlo will use so that  I can confirm that it isn't trying to use the same subnet as my home network? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@scottgunshell wrote:

Do you know if there is a way to confirm what subnet the Arlo will use so that  I can confirm that it isn't trying to use the same subnet as my home network? 

The cameras are fully isolated from your home network.  Even if the base were using addresses on the same subnet, there would be no confusion with your router or other devices on your home network.  

I'm not saying that the Arlo equipment can't be causing your problem - just that your subnet theory is wrong, and it isn't an avenue you can pursue anyway.  The base station is a closed solution; Arlo doesn't give you any way to control the network it sets up.

@scottgunshell wrote:

I currently have the Arlo disconnected to confirm that it is the device that is causing the problems on my network.

Do you mean that the base is turned off?  Or that you've removed the ethernet cable but the base is still powered?

Either way, post back the results when you're done with that test, and maybe we can suggest a followup test.

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

Just about all home users use the same subnet for a class c. 255.255.255.0. If you are talking about IP range like 192.168.1.1-192.68.1.254 got NAT addressing the same on both should not be a problem either. I use the same IP range given out by 3 different WiFi routers. My guess is you have a power problem with your router or it’s going bad And just started about the time you installed the cameras. Get your base station as far away from your router as practical. I think the minimum is 6 ft.

scottgunshell
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm currently using a Eero mesh system and I'm in the midst of troubleshooting things with them to determine the possible cause.

We have done a number of things to determine possible issues including disconnecting everything hardwired to see if that fixed the problem I was having.

For a while I only had a few items things hardwired to the mesh points.

Including the Arlo Base Station and was still having issues however later when I had disconnected the Base Station but still had a few other items connected my router didn't have any issues.  

I'm not sure what subnet class is used by the Eeros  (since it is setup automatically by the Gateway Eero) although they did suggest that if there are problems then I could change the subnet class and IP range manually. It does assign a different IP range then I'm used to historically which is a bit odd.

None of my routers are nearby the Arlo Base Station I have it attached to a switch in a central location so it is more likely to be able to connect to the Cameras in my homes exterior.

I'm certainly not discounting the possibility that the Eero router is failing but am also trying to exhaust.

I should clarify that I haven't had problems until recently and I'm only exploring the possibility that the Arlo is the reason for the problems because so far it seems like it may be the device causing my problems.

It is also possible that disconnecting the Arlo won't fix the problem and I will need to continue to trouble shoot other things that could be causing my issues.

scottgunshell
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@scottgunshell wrote:

Do you mean that the base is turned off?  Or that you've removed the ethernet cable but the base is still powered?

Either way, post back the results when you're done with that test, and maybe we can suggest a followup test.

I mean to say that the base station is still turned on but the Ethernet Cable is disconnected.

Once I have let the network run for a while I will report back if I'm still having the problems with my network.

The response from the manufacturer when they were troubleshooting and after I only had a few devices connected including the eero was:

The disconnecting and rebooting all stopped as soon as we had everything unplugged. It looks like one of the smart hubs is sharing the subnet of your eero network which is causing the issue, we should try adjusting the subnet the eero network is currently set to.

We don't get to see which device is causing the issue and we can't tell which subnet serial we should move to because we cannot see what the hubs are set to currently. We'd recommend checking first in your hub's settings to find which one was on the same range and see if you can just change that one hub's settings, but if you just want to pick a new one on the eeros we can do so, changing the eeros settings may effect your saved port forward settings.

The only smart hub I have in the house that would be assigning any sort of network settings would be the Arlo since it creates a WiFi network for the cameras.

FWIW the problems I'm having have only been happening recently whereas my Arlo has been active for a longer... and as I said it is possible that the routers are having issues and that I will need to replace them to fix it.

N4KHQ
Tutor
Tutor

The additional information is helpful. I certainly am not qualified to argue with mesh support but I will and maybe someone will educate me. When I look at wifi in my house, I see 5 wifi base station. 3 of the 5 are wifi routers is setup. DirectTV and NTGR_VMB (Arlo base station) are dedicated to TV video, and Cameras respectfully. I don't know as much about Mesh as I should but I can't imagine how the subnet mask could be the problem. I have 3 wifi base stations running the same subnet mask. I don't know what the ARLO base station is using for a subnet mask but once the cameras connect via wifi, they only talk to the base station. Now a days when you travel you can see 25 wifi stations in places. I will bet you most are using the same subnet mask. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@scottgunshell wrote:

It looks like one of the smart hubs is sharing the subnet of your eero network which is causing the issue, we should try adjusting the subnet the eero network is currently set to.

Eero support doesn't understand how the Arlo base works, and this theory of what's going on is (as said twice before) is completely incorrect.

scottgunshell
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well the reboot/problem I have been experiencing occurred again last night while the Arlo was disconnected so it seems that the Arlo is not causing the problems I'm experiencing.

Thank you for entertaining my questions I will continue to troubleshoot my system but it appears that the Arlo Base Station is not causing the problems (to be clear I am/was reluctant to believe it was causing my issues as I think it is something else causing it.)

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation